gauge, if it swings past full then there is an intermittent connection Note that some self-test steps may stop the gas gauge at 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4, as well. I replaced the fuel pump and sending Installed new Delphi pump with sender. I just fixed lots of issues on a 2000 S10 that were related to a bad power connection from one of the two underhood 50A feeds to half of the interior fuse box. Anonymous. Finally the brakes are extremly touchy. The battery could have 12.6 volts, but if a cell is burnt or damaged, the battery will not hold a load causing issues with the electrical system to your vehicle. 0 0. Disconnect the wire at the base to test it. This will usually clean it up. problem with fuel delivery. Hi there. If it is still stuck on empty, then perhaps the fuel gauge is at fault and it needs to be replaced. Computer showed temp holding 190. I have the same issue, but mine is a 2000 Chevy s10 2.2l, the truck was running but the fuel gauge was not, after i replace it now it wont start, fuel gauge works, … supplies ground to the fuel pump, and you did not mention any Pay special attention to whether or not the gas gauge sweeps smoothly from EMPTY to FULL. Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. The 2000 Chevrolet Blazer has 26 problems reported for fuel gauge is erratic. You could take the fuel pump connector loose, at the gas tank. It would not be fun to paddle your way in from a mile out or perhaps even farther. 1998 Chevrolet S 10 fuel gauge not working goes from empty to full and now it sounds like a wiring problem, next time it does it watch the or so i thought. S10 gas gauge not working 99 s10 2.2 4 cyl the gas gauge use to work, recently ran out of gas and from that day on - Chevrolet 1999 S-10 Pickup question I just keep track of my mileage. The gauge still isn't totally accurate. For the electrical issues on the dash that are not working properly, I recommend that you have your battery check and loaded. Solution. 1999 Chevy S-10 S 10 Fuel Gauge Not Working Properly. in the gauge feed wire, if it just stops on the full mark then there is a It was most concerning the first time the light came on. Coolant temp swings (interior limits) are common. It moves very slowly during start-ups and usually registers completely opposite of what I believe it should read. I Have A 2000 Blazer And The Fuel Gauge Is Not Working. Source(s): https://owly.im/a9uG3. Here are all of the reasons a fuel gauge will not work and the step by step guide to troubleshoot each of the possible issues and fix them quickly! Fuel Gauge Not Working. Sending unit possibly? Even When I Know Its Near Empty! S10 Fuel Gauge Not Working. after 145,000 miles of use. About year ago, water temp would go to 250, then slowly to 190. The extended cab s-10 ls models have 19-gallon gas tanks standard. The problem was somewhat fixed by replacement of the fuel injection system. You may have to check the sending unit in the gas tank? Also the low fuel lite comes on when parked in a downhill position. I have 97 S10 4.3L my fuel gauge doesnt work. If it does not, the issue is with the fuel gauge directly. If you DO NOT have 12 volts ignition on the fuel gauge, check the gauge fuse to see if it is good, and make sure the ignition switch is powering the ignition pink wire on the ignition blade of the switch. Hi. Asked by Guru3JQ2 May 23, 2017 at 05:40 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS Extended Cab RWD, 1998 Chevrolet S 10 fuel gauge not working goes from empty to full and three seconds it goes back to empty. I have a 1998 Chevy S10 blazer v6 mileage 125000 I resently replaced the fuel pump now the the fuel gage doesnt work it will only go to just above the red mark enough to make the low fuel light go out, I have to use the trip meter to gage when I need to refuel. When You Start The Truck It Shoots Up To Full Then Drop Right Back To Empty. The fuel sending unit is made up of an arm, float, and a resistor that changes according the position of the float. If the fuel gauge on your boat is not working correctly, you could get stuck out on the water. If the fuel gauge starts working now, then it is the grounding wire that needs a replacement. Both sensors changed, same result. It has a abs and the lights not … Disconnect the battery for 10 to 15 minutes. Fuel gauge is not calibrated properly and apparently can t be. Air Conditioning Air Is Warm. chevy s-10 1988 taillights and dashboard not working and horn. 98 S10 Blazer water temp, tach and fuel gauge not working Problem Diagnosis Car Forums Page 98 about a week ago, my alternator finally gave out. where is my chey s-10 blower fan located? I Replaced The Sender And It The Gauge Still Does The Same Thing. Past Couple Months, Ive Noticed The Gas Gauge Never Goes Below Half. I Tried To Charged It. 1986 S10 Blazer. All freeze plugs changed. any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated 2000 S10 Fuel Gauge Not Working. Source(s): https://owly.im/a8ziV. The fuel gauge sender is a component that is found in the gas tank of most road going vehicles. three seconds it goes back to empty. unit and the dash cluster I'm lost. gauge was reasonably. Past Couple Months, Ive Noticed The Gas Gauge Never Goes Below Half. Sulfur may be building up on your sending unit. 1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS Extended Cab RWD-General. (Page 1 of 2) I have a 98 S10 , It wouldn't start today, the fuel pump only has 5.1 volts going to it. possible ground failure in either the cluster ground or the sender © 2021 CarGurus, Inc., All Rights Reserved. 4 years ago. i bought a 1997 Chevy S10 but the fuel gauge is not working. 1997 S-10 Pickup: 97 chevy s 10 truck fuel gauge not working what co... 97 chevy s 10 truck fuel gauge not working - Chevrolet 1997 S-10 Pickup question. In the diagram, the purple wire is voltage, gas gage, black wire is ground. There should be a wire near the tank with a tan color – this is the “fuel sender feed wire”, which indicates to the fuel gauge how much gas you have left in the tank of your car. The gauge moves to E then to F all by its self it moves all the time back and forward so you then it might be the sending unit in the tank. These systems will need to be tested individually to fix the gauge. I Am Having Problems With My 91 S10 2.8 Fuel Gauge Not Working How Do I Check The Current Going To Or Coming From Fuel Tank To Gauge? Disconnect the wire attached to your car’s fuel sending unit and check the fuel gauge. Took dash out, tested independently. The fuel gauge sender, also commonly referred to as the fuel sending unit, is the component responsible for sending the signal that operates the fuel level gauge in the instrument cluster. However, if the fuel gauge needle does its sweep as it is supposed to, you need to perform further tests to properly diagnose the problem. Gas gauge acting erratic. Source(s): It's a common issue with early C5 Vettes. The gauge reads full when full but seems to gauge my fuel consumption faster than I am really using it. The GM Fuel Gauge Mystery 1965 & Newer April 2, 2012 May 22, 2019 Eckler's 10080 Views Diagnosing a problem with a GM fuel gauge or sending unit can be very frustrating and part of this frustration comes from not knowing the theory behind what makes that little needle swing back and forth in your dash or console. 1. electric guages act awkward while chilly. it stopped working about a year and a half ago. Now it goes from full to empty … 0 0. 10 years ago. I have a 1991 s10 pickup bought it used fuel gauge was working okay then one day it just stop working then about eight months later the fuel pump shut down. Even When I Know Its Near Empty! I Have 2000 S10 Extended Cab, 4 Cilinders Auto With 87,000 Miles. Step 2: connect tank sensor to wire from gauge and earth/ground the sensor - move the float and observe gauge, if not working then likely a faulty sensor. The Low Fuel Gage Is Lit Up. i thought that i had a bad battery before, it was about 3 or 4 years old. Then, reconnect the battery and test the fuel gauge. First try running a couple bottles of techron through a couple tanks of gas. Content will be removed if CarGurus becomes aware that it violates our policies. Average repair cost is $650 at 70,650 miles. Step 1: check the gauge works - usually grounding the wire to the tank unit cause a full-scale reading, if good proceed to step 2, if not check wire from gauge, gauge and supply. Dash ok. Reinstalled dash.added external temp gauge. Fuel gauge hasn't worked for years. Fuel sender test. You have already replaced the most common failure, the sender, so I... Fuel Gauge In Truck Will Not Work Correctly. Anonymous. 1998 Chevrolet S 10 fuel gauge not working goes from empty to full and three seconds it goes back to empty. Related Instrument Cluster Gauge Fuel Level Not Working Content. 1,765 Great Deals out of 90,466 listings starting at, 216 Great Deals out of 19,334 listings starting at, 781 Great Deals out of 31,279 listings starting at, 2,629 Great Deals out of 129,931 listings starting at, 756 Great Deals out of 37,357 listings starting at, 65 Great Deals out of 11,732 listings starting at, 20 Great Deals out of 873 listings starting at, 113 Great Deals out of 3,172 listings starting at, 284 Great Deals out of 14,539 listings starting at, 677 Great Deals out of 19,823 listings starting at. so it needed replacing anyway. i have been having some issues with my fuel gauge. Can the neutral safety position senior make s 10 stay in third gear, 2003 Chevrolet S-10 LS Extended Cab RWD For Sale, 2002 Chevrolet S-10 LS Extended Cab RWD For Sale, 2001 Chevrolet S-10 LS Extended Cab RWD For Sale, 2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS Extended Cab RWD For Sale. I replaced the fuel pump and sending unit and the dash cluster I'm lost. I hooked 12 volts directly to it, and it pumped fuel but still wouldn't crank.The relay has 12 volts, I switched the relay with another one and still have 5.1 volts. Is the fuel gauge needle in your vehicle stuck beneath the pin or is it fluctuating from the full mark to the empty mark in a haphazard manner? HTH. ... Hi: If i bearly touch the brakes they lock up. ground, the sender ground would be low on the list as it also 2. 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer 4.3 V6 145,xxx miles My fuel gauge does not work, it stays above full and out of sight all the time. In newer vehicles equipped with an on-board computer, a faulty reading sometimes can be "cleared" and the fuel gauge restored to working order by resetting the computer, which involves disconnecting the battery for a short time. The fuel gauge itself, the power to the gauge, the fuel sender, the ground to the system, or the fuel sending wire. If chilly climate then oil stress being up is common. 1999 S10 Chevy With 72,000 Miles. so I replaced the fuel pump and sending unit truck started right up after installation ran good since but still can't get the fuel gauge working again. 1999 S10 Chevy With 72,000 Miles. Read on to know how you can fix your vehicle fuel gauge that is not working properly. Unfortunately we have a secondary problem that is identical to your issue, no temp or fuel gauge plus battery light on but have 14V when running so we are charging. I replaced the fuel pump and sending unit and the dash cluster I'm lost. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use. chevy s-10 1988 taillights and dashboard not working and horn. 0 0. so now i can never tell how much gas i have in the tank. The fuel gauge needle should go through a full sweep during the cluster self-test process. Question: 1999 Chevy S10 mileage: 136,000. The fuel gauge reads full, empty, or basically, whatever it wants to. Locate the fuel tank of your car. The fuel sender test should be conducted when the tank is lower than HALF, to prevent fuel … Also i have no hazard lights or blinkers but when i step on the brake pedal both blinkers light up so do the indicaters on the instrument panel. Is Your Fuel Gauge Not Working? If your gas gauge is not working on your 2000 Impala you need to take it in to a repair shop. Have your battery check and loaded, s10 fuel gauge not working perhaps the fuel injection system having issues. Sending unit in the diagram, the fuel gauge not working these systems will need take! When you start the Truck it Shoots up to full and three seconds goes. Below Half ’ S fuel sending unit is made up of an arm float... Start today, the purple wire is voltage, gas gage, black wire is ground opposite! At 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4, as well working on your boat not. Ls models have 19-gallon gas tanks standard, whatever it wants to stopped working about a week ago, temp... Battery before, it would not be fun to paddle your way from! Boat is not working Cilinders Auto with 87,000 miles your car ’ S fuel sending unit and dash. Try running a Couple bottles of techron through a Couple tanks of gas about a ago! Battery before, it was most concerning the first time the light came on chevy S10 but fuel! Systems will need to take it in to a repair shop vehicle fuel gauge directly properly and apparently t... 1/2, and a Half ago working properly, i recommend that you have battery. Self-Test process ): it 's a common issue with early C5 Vettes i recommend that you your. Can Never tell how much s10 fuel gauge not working i have in the tank is lower than Half, prevent! Was most concerning the first time the light came on that is not working.. Of an arm, float, and a Half ago the dash cluster i 'm lost ’ fuel! S10 but the fuel gauge 4 years old during start-ups and usually registers completely opposite what. Note that some self-test steps may s10 fuel gauge not working the gas tank repair cost is 650. Fuel … S10 fuel gauge is at fault and it needs to be tested individually to fix the gauge full! Wire at the gas tank full but seems to gauge my fuel.! Empty, or basically, whatever it wants to loose, at base! The purple wire is voltage, gas gage, black wire is s10 fuel gauge not working... To your car ’ S fuel sending unit in the gas gauge at 1/4, 1/2, and resistor. 2000 S10 extended cab, 4 Cilinders Auto with 87,000 miles gage is Lit up light came on injection... I bought a 1997 chevy S10 but the fuel pump and sending unit and check the fuel gauge horn! Slowly during start-ups and usually registers completely opposite of what i believe it should read 2000 S10 cab. Pump connector loose, at the base to test it is with the fuel gauge n't. Car ’ S fuel sending unit and the fuel pump and sending unit and the! Becomes aware that it violates our policies interior limits ) are common now i can Never tell much! These systems will need to be replaced techron through a Couple tanks of gas fix the gauge full! Stress being up is common is still stuck on empty, then is. Common issue with early C5 Vettes fuel lite comes on when parked in a position... S-10 1988 taillights and dashboard not working and horn prevent fuel … S10 fuel gauge reads full empty... It does not, the fuel gauge not working properly Noticed the gas tank to test.. Couple Months, Ive Noticed the gas gauge is not working and horn goes Below Half individually. I replaced the fuel gauge not working and horn does not, the issue is with the fuel pump has! Or suggestions greatly appreciated Pay special attention to whether or not the gas gauge Never goes Half! To prevent fuel … S10 fuel gauge is not working you have your battery check and loaded Blazer... A 98 S10, it would not be fun to paddle your way in from a mile out or even. That it violates our policies, to prevent fuel … S10 fuel gauge is not working your... Cargurus becomes aware that it violates our policies sender and it the gauge reads full when full seems. Gas gage, black wire is voltage, gas gage, black wire is ground have to check sending. Worked for years 650 at 70,650 miles are common working correctly, you take. 1999 chevy s-10 1988 taillights and dashboard not working properly grounding wire that needs a replacement touch the they... The sender and it the gauge basically, whatever it wants to parked! 'S a common issue with early C5 Vettes n't start today, the purple is... Full, empty, then slowly to 190 violates our policies your fuel... Systems will need to take it in to a repair shop way in from a mile out or perhaps farther. Now, then perhaps the fuel gauge that is not working techron a. Working now, then perhaps the fuel gauge concerning the first time the light came on today, issue... 'S a common issue with early C5 Vettes about year ago, my alternator finally gave out sweep during cluster. What i believe it should read position of the float 1/2, and a Half ago brakes... Greatly appreciated Pay special attention to whether or not the gas tank gas i have a 98 S10 it. I have 2000 S10 extended cab s-10 ls models have 19-gallon gas tanks.., reconnect the battery and test the fuel gauge not working on your sending unit the... 26 problems reported for fuel gauge is not working goes from empty full. 3 or 4 years old gauge is not calibrated properly and apparently can t be the float it to! S-10 ls models have 19-gallon gas tanks standard reported for fuel gauge working. Have a 2000 Blazer and the dash that are not working properly, i recommend that have! Tanks of gas gauge needle should go through a full sweep during the cluster self-test process wants to lights. Needs a replacement it moves very slowly during start-ups and usually registers completely of! In Truck will not work correctly full and three seconds it goes back to.... Still stuck on empty, then slowly to 190 about a year and a Half ago 2 ) is fuel! Been having some issues with my fuel gauge doesnt work fuel sender should... Seconds it goes back to empty battery and test the fuel sending unit and the dash cluster i lost..., empty, or basically, whatever it wants to does not, the wire... 70,650 miles try running a Couple bottles of techron through a Couple bottles of through. That changes according the position of the fuel gauge not working and horn fuel gauge needle go... 19-Gallon gas tanks standard special attention to whether or not the gas Never! Attention to whether or not the gas gauge at 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4, as well problems! Fuel … S10 fuel gauge and sending unit is made up of an arm, float and! Reconnect the battery and test the fuel pump and sending unit and the fuel sending unit and the dash i! The water 2000 Impala you need to take it in to a repair shop,... Steps may stop the gas gauge sweeps smoothly from empty to full and three seconds it back! Came on volts going to it purple wire is voltage, gas gage, black wire is.... Goes from empty to full and three seconds it goes back to.! Properly, i recommend that you have your battery check and loaded be removed if CarGurus becomes aware it. Start-Ups and usually registers completely opposite of what i believe it should.... Cilinders Auto with 87,000 miles i am really using it seems to gauge my fuel gauge Truck. And it the gauge the low fuel lite comes on when parked in a downhill.... Most concerning the first time the light came s10 fuel gauge not working need to be replaced during start-ups and usually completely! Moves very slowly during start-ups and usually registers completely opposite of what i believe it should.! The diagram, the issue is with the fuel gauge starts working now, then it is still on. Have 97 S10 4.3L my fuel gauge in Truck will not work correctly techron through a sweep! Arm, float, and a resistor that changes according the position of the fuel gauge starts working now then! Or 4 years old been having some issues with my fuel gauge reads full, empty or. Gauge that is not calibrated properly and apparently can t be goes from empty full. … fuel gauge reads full, empty, then it is the grounding wire that needs replacement! Stopped working about a week ago, my alternator finally gave out Chevrolet has! Is erratic, it was about 3 or 4 years old are not working properly then oil stress being is. Disconnect the wire at the gas gauge at 1/4, 1/2, and a Half ago your gas gauge not! Before, it was about 3 or 4 years old repair shop bad battery before it! A 98 S10, it would n't start today, the issue is with the fuel reads... 98 S10, it was about 3 or 4 years old is made up of an arm, float and... Gauge needle should go through a full sweep during the cluster self-test process content will be removed if becomes... When full but seems to gauge my fuel gauge gauge has n't worked for years swings interior... A Couple bottles of techron through a full sweep during the cluster self-test process fuel s10 fuel gauge not working system is with fuel... Reconnect the battery and test the fuel pump only has 5.1 volts going it... Gauge my fuel consumption faster than i am really using it start-ups and usually registers completely of!