It's the adults who should be ashamed for not being the adults to these children. There was not enough humor, and there is only so much I can take of sisters bickering. Welcome back. Delphine, in my opinion, is the most wronged of all the girls, and no one ever acknowledges or validates her as a child. We’d love your help. AWESOME WEEKEND. April 21st 2015 The Coretta Scott King Award–winning Gone Crazy in… More. This was, admittedly, my least favorite of the three Gaither sisters books. Gone Crazy in Alabama is a family story, a sisters story. 11 editions. Her easy inclusion of small details to set up the time period was extremely effective and served to root the reader completely in the time and place. She continues to carry the weight of her sisters choices, her parents expectations. If you chose to provide an email address, it will only be used to contact you about your comment. Fern is coming into her own person, her own choices, and finding her own poetic voice to express it all, and she is not backing down. Browse titles with similar subject matter. Get full reviews, ratings, and advice delivered weekly to your inbox. Gone Crazy in Alabama Paperback . User Reviews Review this title 6 Reviews. —Gone Crazy in Alabama, P. 33 On the family farm in Alabama, Ma Charles is as authoritative a figure as Big Ma was in Brooklyn. Thank you Rita Williams-Garcia for creating these characters. STUDY. The children show great compassion, empathy, and foresight even through their mistakes. "P.S. However, this book really brought to the front something that bothered me about the other books. Be 11, but being Cecile, she doesn't do in a clear way that Delphine can understand. I felt it got off to a slow start, and I quickly tired of the back and forth between Ma Charles and Miss Trotter. 8-12) Our Verdict. My favorite is the first in the series. It has bothered me since One Crazy Summer how Delphine is expected to be a mother to her sisters. Why does it surprise anyone when she isn't a good mother. This is a premier Ciivil rights leader that everyone needs to know his story. Been mulling it over for months. This time, they’ve gone down to Alabama for the summer, and spend time with Big Ma, Ma Charles (her mother) and Darnell, who’s cleaned up. about. Refresh and try again. Created by. Common Sense Media, a nonprofit organization, earns a small affiliate fee from Amazon or iTunes when you use our links to make a purchase. November 3, 2015 by Elizabeth Bird. The biggest question is: Will the girls survive going crazy in Alabama? Great characters, great humor and amazing conflict and resolution. Definitely worthy of rereading someday. BE ELEVEN. Does the interaction among the sisters in Gone Crazy in Alabama seen realistic? Your privacy is important to us. Even now, my daughters call me 'Pokey Mom', because I slow poke around when they want to go-go-go. Write. A.X.L. I don’t want them to make it easy for me. Kids and families alike will love how well Williams-Garcia portrays the intricacies of family dynamics and the human spirit. Everyone expects it, and she is punished for not doing it. Share; share via pinterest. We won't share this comment without your permission. However, the book did start picking up, and the central theme of family being there for each other no matter what was strong. Story of the Tampico Stogies, a low minor-league baseball team, and its star player and manager, Stud' Cantrell, as they battle for the league championship amidst the corruption and racism of … The two half sisters haven't spoken in years. Test. The Coretta Scott King Award–winning Gone Crazy in Alabama by Newbery Honor and New York Times bestselling author Rita Williams-Garcia tells the story of the Gaither sisters as they travel from the streets of Brooklyn to the rural South for the summer of a lifetime. I've felt that in each book but this one really ended the series well (I think the author says this is the last one.). See something that needs to be addressed? Big Ma had a job for Delphine and Delphine didn't want to do it. How are the civil rights movement and the Black Lives Matter movement different? “I pressed and I prayed. Williams-Garcia explored three very distinct settings in each book, and each time I felt like I was there, experiencing everything along with the sisters. Gone Crazy in Alabama by Rita Williams-Garcia. So, meantime, here's a place-holder comment (from the Heavy Medal blog): This is the third part of the family story about the Gaither sisters. Learn. Delphine is 12, she hasn't had the time, maturing, or modelling necessary to be a good mother. If her sisters misbehave, Delphine is often the one who is held responsible for their behavior; for not keeping them in line. April 21, 2015. Historical references include Sputnik. Delphine, Vonetta, and Fern's story continues in P.S. Shelving menu. Thanks to my Goodreads friend Orinoco Womble for recommending this. As Delphine and her two younger sisters squabble, so does Ma Charles squabble with her half-sister. Life isn't always sweet in Alabama. "Gone Crazy in Alabama" is the third book in the series that follows sisters Delphine, Vonetta and Fern. Absolutely excellent. Be Eleven, in which the Gaither sisters, Delphine, Vonetta, and Fern, go from Brooklyn to Alabama for the summer to visit their grandmother and great-grandmother. love this product. I’m a conceited enough children’s librarian that I like it when a book wins me over. Rita Williams-Garcia's Newbery Honor Book, One Crazy Summer, was a winner of the Coretta Scott King Author Award, a National Book Award finalist, the recipient of the Scott O’Dell Award for Historical Fiction, and a New York Times bestseller. Gone Crazy in Alabama By Rita Williams-Garcia Amistad (an imprint of Harper Collins) $16.99 ISBN: 978-0062215871 Ages 9-12 On shelves now. In 2020, we've seen docuseries like HBO's I'll Be Gone in the Dark, The Last Dance, and Tiger King, as well as feature-length documentaries like Beastie Boys Story and Jasper Mall. A study guide for the novel Gone Crazy in Alabama introduces readers to life in the rural South and explores one character's experiences there. It is the summer of 1969 and the three girls are sent to Alabama for the summer to visit relatives. We display the minimum age for which content is developmentally appropriate. The story has great pacing, at times moving languidly like the slow summers of the South, then switching to breakneck speed when the action demands it. Delphine, Vonetta, and Fern, the sisters who captured readers’ hearts in One Crazy Summer (2010) and P.S. When the film premiered at Cannes in May, some reviews didn't seem to understand that Betty and Charlie are parallel characters, both projecting their dreams on figures they've created in their own fantasies. and her grandmother's pressure of perfection. 2016 Coretta Scott King Award Winner. by Rita Williams-Garcia BOOK REVIEW. could have been great revslick 12 July 2020. How did Delphine, Vonetta, and Fern get to Alabama? I owe this one a proper review. With the 3rd book, these are real people to me, not just characters. Terms in this set (6) the bus. The screenwriters who retail the mirage of small towns are relieved to have escaped them. MrsLeekWSS. Although I was her last child, I took my time making my appearance. Be Eleven (2013), are off to spend the summer in Alabama with Big Ma. This wise, funny novel by th Estranged family, sibling rivalry, and a horrible tragedy bring secrets, love, and devotion to life. Tame Wild Girls Here. I like to believe I was dreaming up a good story and wouldn’t budge until I was finished. In GONE CRAZY IN ALABAMA, Rita Williams-Garcia does a fantastic job of welcoming readers into the intimate life of the Gaither family. Want to Read. I struggled to stay interested. © Common Sense Media. What element of the family will she write about next??!!!!! Why was Mrs. sick? She still shoulders it all and is figuring out how to be a pre-teen, until...Miss Vonetta decides, in typical middle child fashion that she has to have her way, a decision th. PLAY. It comes to a head here when Vonetta, understand. She continues to carry the weight of her sisters choices, her parents expectations. Descriptions of life and customs in the South for African-Americans in the 1960s. Final book of trilogy about the young Gaither sisters in the 1960s – great historical children's fiction set in the civil rights era of the 1960s. Strong messages about the importance of coming together as a family when encountering obstacles; the difference in schools of Black thought at the time, including the feminist and Black Panther movements; traditional civil rights movements; and the uniting of communities. Select final review quiz: Word Review. Gravity. Look at me! A spry, almost sassy eighty-two years of age, she welcomes her great-granddaughters affectionately, but lets them know how things are going to … The book is too bogged down in the family's genealogy. That and being sorry. How are they similar? I didn't realize it was part of a series. I read an entire series. Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Published Be Eleven and Gone Crazy in Alabama, were both Coretta Scott King Author Award winners and ALA Notable Children’s Books. Sort by: Filter by Rating: 6 /10. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. Funny and compelling with a terrific cast of characters, this is a book that can be enjoyed as a cross-generational read. Mentions of the white-supremacist hate group the Ku Klux Klan. I was late discovering this series for "Middle Grades" with great historical lessons. All rights reserved. After having read the entire series, I can honestly say that I feel these books are very important for children. I don’t want them to make it easy for me. Common Sense Media's unbiased ratings are created by expert reviewers and aren't influenced by the product's creators or by any of our funders, affiliates, or partners. More By and About This Author. Three sisters traveling to Alabama, for the summer, from Brooklyn, NY. 1960s Oakland, California and its tumultuous social justice scene provided a scintillating backdrop for, This was, admittedly, my least favorite of the three Gaither sisters books. Reviews: -Resources + See More U.S. & International Retailers. She is 12, for Pete's sake! This one was a disappointment. After having read the entire series, I can honestly say that I feel these books are very important for children. GET IT. Great series! See our. It was only right that pressing went with prayer. I have fallen in love with Delphine, Vonetta, and Fern, the Gaither Sisters. The story takes place on a farm, so there's discussion of eating animals and an instance when a little girl is hurt in a tornado. To say that I love this (audible) culmination of the Gaither Sisters trilogy would be an understatement. I don’t want them to make it easy for me. Directed by Martin Davidson. An adult threatens children with corporal punishment, the Ku Klux Klan rides through town in a threatening manner, people are afraid of being lynched, a family's death by car accident is described, a little girl is hurt in a tornado. Parents need to know that Rita Williams-Garcia's 2016 Coretta Scott King Author Book Award-winning Gone Crazy in Alabama is a companion book to One Crazy Summer and P.S. History, self-awareness, negotiated boundaries and family secrets are at the heart of Gone Crazy in Alabama, the third – and final – book in Rita Williams Garcia’s excellent Gaither Sisters series. Start by marking “Gone Crazy in Alabama (Gaither Sisters, #3)” as Want to Read: Error rating book. When I sit down to read something I want to know that the author on the other side of the manuscript is scrabbling to get the reader’s attention. I wish I could read about them forever. HarperCollins. Now I’ll say right off the bat that under normal circumstances I don’t tend to read sequels and, I’m a conceited enough children’s librarian that I like it when a book wins me over. Maybe the impact of a stepbrother/sister on a solid group of sisters. Use examples from the book. Everyone expects it, and she is punished for not doing it. The Gaither sisters head down south to spend some time with their relatives in Alabama (Big Ma and her mother Ma Charles). I love the Gaither sisters. One Crazy Summer is the first book in the Gaither Sisters Series. Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read. HarperCollins/Amistad, $16.99 (304p) ISBN 978-0-06-221587-1 . In GONE CRAZY IN ALABAMA, Rita Williams-Garcia does a fantastic job of welcoming readers into the intimate life of the Gaither family. What was the job? Harrowing tale of Gaither girls' summer in the South. Be Eleven was published in 2013, and features the girls returning to their home in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn. When I sit down to read something I want to know that the author on the other side of the manuscript is scrabbling to get the reader’s attention. Review of the Day: Gone Crazy in Alabama by Rita Williams-Garcia. Match. Some strong themes will be great points for discussion and include sibling rivalry, death in families, and racial injustice. Select the sections of Gone Crazy in Alabama to review Select all Clear all It Takes a Licking-Sophia's On That's Entertainment-Short for Onchetty Like a Bird in the Sky-Sister Three Dog Night-Keeps on Ticking: Quiz. Want to Read; Currently Reading; Read; Add New Shelf; Done. Dhonielle Clayton is a YA author, a 2018 Goodreads Choice Award nominee, and the chief operating officer of We Need Diverse Books, a... To see what your friends thought of this book, chapter book i got the dvd and it was long. At the end of the book she talks about people showing her mercy when she didn't deserve it. Review by Robin Smith May 2015 Almost-13-year-old Delphine, middle sister Vonetta and baby sister Fern Gaither are back in the final installment of the award-winning series by Rita Williams-Garcia. Unfortunately, the documentary is loaded with lots of cheerleading and political colleagues, which diminish his story and the documentary overall. What to Watch, Read, and Play While Your Kids Are Stuck Indoors, Common Sense Selections for family entertainment, Check out new Common Sense Selections for games, Teachers: Find the best edtech tools for your classroom with in-depth expert reviews, Cómo hablar con los niños sobre la violencia en el Capitolio de los Estados Unidos, Actividades sobre el Mes de la Historia Afroamericana, Which Side of History? Gone Crazy in Alabama. Want to Read; Currently Reading; Read; Add New Shelf; Rate it: Company. Share: share via email. Gone Crazy in Alabama (Gaither Sisters, #3), I’m a conceited enough children’s librarian that I like it when a book wins me over. But then it heated up and a tornado shook everything up and illuminated Williams-Garcia's main theme--family, love, what's most important. This visit comes at a time of great awareness for almost-13-year-old Delphine as well as looming change in her family. P.S. Hide Spoilers. We're updating our reviews to better highlight authentic stories and accurate, diverse representations. Is this book a chapter book or picture book? The only action in the story comes 2/3 of the way through the book. "Delphine, Vonetta, and Fern are off to Alabama to visit their grandmother, Big Ma, and her mother, Ma Charles. The second book, P.S. Cecile tries to, a bit, in P.S. Be the first to review this title. In the first book, "One Crazy Summer," the girls travel to Oakland in the late 1960s to visit the mother who abandoned them when they were little. A good girl gone wild is perfect for an unforgettable journey named flirt. Garcia-Williams is a terrific storyteller who manages to weave history into an engaging narrative. What are your favorite stories about your family that you've learned? The fact is that few people in Hollywood have voluntarily gone home again since William Faulkner fled to Mississippi. My mother, Miss Essie, named me 'NoMo' immediately after my birth. Every wrinkle was a patch of sorry to be smoothed and flattened.”, Coretta Scott King Book Award for Author (2016). Thank you for your support. Ages 8-12. The star rating reflects overall quality. No one is all bad or all good, and though family members may not react the way readers expect or want, they are loving and supportive in their own way. Gone Crazy in Alabama Rita Williams-Garcia. Kirkus Reviews… Tween coming-of-age set amid shifting family, '60s dynamics. That just got to me. Williams-Garcia brings to light many otherwise heavy topics and histori. However, the book did start picking up, and the central theme of family being there for each other no matter what was strong. Become a member to write your own review. 8 Rated Books Book Reviews Read Diversely Book Review: Gone Crazy in Alabama by Rita Williams-Garcia Posted on May 19, 2015 History, self-awareness, negotiated boundaries and family secrets are at the heart of Gone Crazy in Alabama, the third – and final – book in Rita Williams Garcia’s excellent Gaither Sisters series. Families also can talk about oral histories and traditions. Make your dreams of wild dating come true and meet your compatible partner today. It was a pleasure to spend more time with these girls, and now I'm feeling sad that this is the end. What a great bunch of guys. She is a wonderful storyteller and these books need to be shared. Delphine is set in her role as the momma/sister to her younger siblings Vonetta, and Fern. 304 pages. The Gaither sisters are headed down South alongside hundreds of other New York kids for the summer. Email; share via facebook. She still shoulders it all and is figuring out how to be a pre-teen, until...Miss Vonetta decides, in typical middle child fashion that she has to have her way, a decision that coincides with powers that are way out of her control. Family tumult and nationwide social unrest converge to shake the world of 12-year-old orphan Peejoe Bullis in the summer of 1965, ``when everybody went crazy in Alabama.'' Common Sense and other associated names and logos are trademarks of Common Sense Media, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization (FEIN: 41-2024986). It comes to a head here when Vonetta, understandably, rebels against her control. How Technology Is Reshaping Democracy and Our Lives, Celebrate the history and culture of the African diaspora and the achievements of people with African roots on Wide Open School, Online Playdates, Game Nights, and Other Ways to Socialize at a Distance, Keeping Kids Motivated for Online Learning. Leaving their neighborhood, father, and pregnant stepmother behind, Delphine, Vonetta, and Fern spend the summer in Alabama to visit relatives and find that farm life is far more complicated than it initially appears. Vonetta. Delphine is set in her role as the momma/sister to her younger siblings Vonetta, and Fern. If her sisters misbehave, Delphine is often the one who is held responsible for their behavior; for not keeping them in line. Read Gone Crazy in Alabama reviews from parents on Common Sense Media. Our ratings are based on child development best practices. Being the oldest, Delphine is in charge of her two younger sisters, Vonetta & Fern. There are too many books published in a current year to keep circling back to the same authors over and over again. Their complicated ethnic heritage and family stories are intermingled with Ku Klux Klan sightings and a close encounter with a tornado.