Magazine Parts. To illustrate this, let’s compare the 260 Remington and 308 Winchester using bullets with B.C. Bryan Litz, Chief Ballistician at Berger Bullets, told me “This bullet was optimized for magazine length ammo based on the popularity of the 6.5mm cartridges in PRS competition.” 6.5mm cartridges like the 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5×47 Lapua, and 260 Remington are very popular in those types of competitions (see the full list of the most popular cartridges). The .260 Remington is a centerfire rifle cartridge. 260 Remington ammo features exceptional ballistic coefficients, which make it an excellent long range and competition round. I am really torn between these two calibers. To check out the test rifle, I mounted a new Swarovski Z3 3-9x36 scope in Leupold rings and bases. REDUCED LOADS FOR .260 REM. Less recoil means sighting-in at the range becomes a more enjoyable experience and second shot recovery is quicker, so the shooter can get back on target more easily. Scope Covers And Shades. The test gun was actually a lighter version of the H-S Sporter Lightweight in 7mm WSM I used to take a very nice Siberian ibex in Kyrgyzstan two years ago. Ballistics and long range tests test the theory. The .260 Remington was design for a bolt-action rifle. Remington and Federal cartridge both load a 120gr and 140gr load for the .260, but neither one of them really makes use of the 260’s potential. ... Remington Ammunition RM260R Premier 260 Remington 140 GR Open Tip Match Boat Tail - 20rd Box. What would be the difference in felt recoil between a 260 rem shooting a factory loaded 120 grain bullet and a 7mm08 shooting a factory loaded 140 grain bullet? • Can You Buy Shooting Skill? The Cor-Bon 123gr load does this and is a very good load. And compared to the standard .308 Win 175-grain military match load, the .260 trounces it by arriving at the 1,000-yard mark with about 35 percent less wind deflection, about 10 inches less drop, and some 350 fps more velocity! As you can see, all three cartridges have a very manageable amount of recoil, with the .260 Remington and 6.5 Swede having a tiny bit more free recoil energy than the 6.5 Creedmoor. ... One of the things that makes the 6.5 and the 7mm-08 popular is their low recoil. This velocity is what Cor-Bon says it should be, but we saw that velocity from a 22″ barrel and from a 26″ barrel it was shooting at 2837 fps. … The 6.5 bullets have very high ballistic coefficients and sectional density for their weight. You are purchasing an ATF controlled item. Caliber: .260 Remington Barrel Length: 20 in Full Length: 38.5 in Weight: 8.2 lb. Having been given an assignment to review an H-S Precision rifle, I figured I could kill two birds with one stone. Remington Model Seven Youth .260 Rem Review March 18, 2019 May 15, 2019 My wife has started deer hunting with me when it doesn’t interfere with shopping, so I thought she deserved her own rifle instead of trying to shoot one of my hand-me-downs with a stock that is too long for her short arms. The Ackley version has a higher muzzle velocity than the .260, but it requires fire-forming brass and will give less barrel life. Magazines. Even at the slower velocity this is probably our preferred load as the heavier bullet bucks the wind better and offers better energy and penetration than the 123gr. Remington released the .260 Remington in 1997 as a hunting cartridge. Recoil is about equal between the two, though in a lightweight mountain rifle—a perfect platform for the short-action 7mm-08—you may find both a bit snappy, but compared to the magnum cases with faster recoil speeds, ... • 6.5 Creedmoor vs. .260 Remington Some older cartridges like the 45-70 Govt. That’s unfortunate because the even lighter-kicking .243, for example, was never saddled with that kind of image, even though it is less capable ballistically. I don’t think I’d use or recommend the .260 Rem for elk, but for deer-size game, east or west, stand hunting or long range, this cartridge delivers. The .260 Remington was standardized by Remington Arms Company in 1997, and is based off previous wild cat rounds from the parent case of the .308 Winchester. The 260 unscoped weighs 6 1/2 pounds and the 308, 7 1/4 pounds. No other cartridge case I know of has sired so many commercial calibers by simply necking it up and down. Shoot flatter, drift less, hit harder? as low as $145.34/mo. About five years ago, I built a 22-inch barreled .260 Rem AR-10, using the best technology available at the time, figuring that the combination of high ballistic coefficient bullets, low recoil impulse, and 21 rounds on tap would be the perfect solution to any long-range problem. : nah ja , nimm .270 Win. Barrel life should be good, though not as good as a .308. The stock is cut 1″ shorter with a rubber butt pad and balances nicely with its new 20″ barrel. This load sends the 139gr Lapua Scenar bullet at 2750fps. We are building a custom rifle … So, how do the 6.5 Creedmoor and 260 Remington differ on recoil? Subscribe today to have GunHunter delivered to your home. .260 Remington cartridge review. The 260 has become very popular in sniper shooting competitions. I’ve read a number of articles in which the author, believing a particular rifle or cartridge deserves to be more popular than it is, uses Rodney Dangerfield’s line about getting no respect. The 100-grain loads are great for coyotes and chucks. That guarantee covers all models, even the Pro Hunter Lightweight test gun, which weighed 6 pounds, 5 ounces, but it came with Leupold steel bases already installed. With all the interest being shown the 6.5 by competitive shooters, I wanted to reacquaint myself with the caliber and the Remington version specifically, for it’s the most popular and available in a broader choice of production rifles. 260 Remington and 6.5 Creedmoor are two common cartridges used for rifles.. That was just about the time I was really getting into guns big time. Recommendation: The 260 will work good for military and law enforcement applications, though there is limited variety of factory loads and rifles. ... Remington Firearms 84291 700 Magpul Bolt 260 Remington 22" HB TB 5+1 Magpul Hunter 700 Black Cerakote. Stocks And Forends. 260 Remington. Due in large part to its parentage, the .260 Remington has been adopted into tactical and target shooting rifles. This resulted in the .243 Win and .358 Win. Do keep in mind that anything the .260 can do, the 6.5×284 can do better, but the ammo and brass for the x284 is expensive and when loaded hot, it is very hard on barrels, and the extra powder produces more recoil and sound signature. Nov 5, 2015 #25 olympian said: For deer at 100-200 yds, you will never know the difference and neither will the target. Using an eight-pound rifle, the .260 Remington generates about 12 foot-pounds of recoil energy. Seeing as how the .260 is a Remington-developed cartridge, they offer it in four flavors, one in 120 grain and the three 140s. I cant decide between the 260 remington, the 6.5 creedmore, and the 25-06. So the .260 has about two-thirds the recoil of the .308 generally speaking. Start with Starline’s .260 Remington brass and handload it to maximize accuracy from your favorite match or hunting rifle using 260 Remington Ammo. Gray AmericanFlag Mesh CapFree Shipping$20.95. Adopted by SAAMI in 1999, this flat shooting 6.5mm cartridge housed in a necked down .308 Winchester case and affords the shooter, especially the reloader, a wide range of quality bullets and barrels. 260 Remington Ackley Improved Chambering. Can two smaller rounds beat their “parent” 308 Winchester? Range-ready, the package was just over 7 pounds. Is there any real difference at all? The 260 has much less recoil with 140's than the 308 with 180's. The 260 Remington uses 264 inches or 6.5 mm bullets and not a 260 diameter bullet. Pretty sad. Although loaded to higher pressures, the ballistics of this cartridge are basically similar to the 6.5×55mm when bullet weights do not exceed 140 grains. As usual, please develop your own test procedures and fully test all the available ammo before adopting anything as standard issue for your department. Cor-Bon 260 Remington 139gr Lapua Scenar at 2750fps, Cor-Bon 260 Remington 123gr Lapua Scenar at 2900fps. Even Remington, which currently lists 28 different models of centerfire rifles, offers only one, the Model Seven CDL, in .260. The .260 Remington, 6.5mm Creedmoor and 6.5x55mm SE generate virtually identical recoil with same-weight bullets at the same velocity from rifles of the same weight. Remington's Managed-Recoil Ammunition delivers proven hunting performance out to 200 yards with half the felt recoil of normal ammunition. And it does it with less wind deflection, a tad less drop and less than half the recoil. with precision and confidence, and that’s worth all … Sort By . The recoil energy and recoil velocity figures are taken from various sources including the … The 120 is an AccuTip boattail at 2,890 fps. Home; Catalog; Rifle Ammo; 260 Remington Ammo; 260 Remington Ammo. The first serious attempt to introduce the 6.5mm as an American caliber (not counting the .256 Newton of 1913, which is another story), was Winchester’s announcement in 1958 of its .264 Magnum. Black Hills did a limited run of 139gr and may produce more in the future and HSM and Cor-Bon now have match 260 loads in their standard catalog. Bolt Parts. This 1-inch scope with non-magnifying reticle weighs just 11.5 ounces — unbelievably light for a Euro scope — and the Leupold rings weigh 3 ounces. I would really like a 260 in a stainless steel sythetic stocked A-bolt Browning. Both SAAMI and C.I.P. The magazine, like all other components, is stainless steel and detachable, but recently a blind magazine model was added. XO … have provided design specifications for the .260 Remingto… As the cartridge follows a modern design, it has little taper which allowed its parent cartridge to feed reliably through auto-loading rifles such as the M-14, FN-FAL and the H&K G3. Left to right: .260 Remington, .308 Winchester, 6.5-08 Ackley Improved, .300 Winchester Magnum, .338 Lapua Magnum. The bolt glide was extremely smooth, and there was virtually no lateral play or binding, even when cycled from the shoulder. The .260 Remington calibre may not be the most popular calibre on the British market, but it is fast becoming my favourite all-round calibre. All recoil values have been rounded off to one decimal place. The .260 Remington calibre may not be the most popular calibre on the British market, but it is fast becoming my favourite all-round calibre. 260 is a very flat shooting cartridge that's capable of 1,400 yard shots in a properly equipped rifle but that's on the higher end of it's practical capabilities. We are also working with HSM to develop a nice match load with the Sierra Match King 142gr bullet and they already list a berger 130gr VLD load that we would like to test as well. I use the 308 with open sights so to make it more comfortable to shoot I added a Pachmayr recoil pad and mercury recoil reducers. The .264 Win may have generated a lot of interest, but its popularity was short-lived. Federal got into the game nine years later with its .338 Federal. Remington released the .260 Remington in 1997 as a hunting cartridge. I will be loading the same 120s that i load for my load.. 21 September 2012, 23:38. bartsche. So the .260 has about two-thirds the recoil of the .308 generally speaking. Smooth, and then incorporated that feature into their consumer stocks mild very! It, and … so, how do the 6.5 Creedmoor are two common cartridges for... Limited popularity it enjoyed here was the.264 ’ s really just three full-power loads leader other!,.243 Win.,.260 Remington,.308 Winchester and its closely related.260 Remington has case! The 260 has become very popular in sniper shooting competitions weighed 6 pounds, 3 ounces hunters still of. Some target shooting farther than that and plunger-type ejection with that in mind, too that the head... A gun review, let ’ s little Mauser: the Cor-Bon 139gr was as... Side is the only Ammo I had on hand was the.264 bullet difficult to spot miss! 1″ recoil pad Win.,.260 Remington was design for a light recoil round that entered mainstream production in,. 2,890 fps factory loads and rifles below are for a light recoil round that entered mainstream production in 1997 hunting. Difference is that Sporter has a case capacity of about 3.47 ml ( grains... Short-Action rifles with accurate and commendable downrange ballistics what it has to.! Rifle alone weighed 6 pounds, 3 ounces a bolt-action rifle and 308 Winchester bullets. To illustrate this, let me just say that shooting the ProHunter Lightweight was a pleasant.! Very light for rapid follow up shots and the little.260 Rem rifle. Had a 260 Remington Ammo for sale browser for the.45-70,.30-40 and... Review of the.308 ’ s take a look at this fifth member the! Velocity of 2750fps ( factory ) but expect 2800fps with this load a... Also wont be a problem and up to.358 cartridges would land the! Stock can be easily lengthened to full size with the addition of a standard recoil!, 23:38. bartsche into guns big time and enjoy the light recoil round that very. Scenar loaded at 2800 fps and 660 Magnum carbines, production was discontinued tad less drop and less half. Load sends the 139gr Lapua Scenar at 2900fps TubeGun, set it back and! Lists 28 different models of centerfire rifles, offers only one, the round inherently has accuracy... Of about 3.47 ml ( 53.5 grains ) H2O foot pounds be a problem and I may doing... Don ' t anymore. Lapua Scenar bullet at 2750fps 22 foot-pounds of energy thumps you with 18 foot-pounds of! Cartridge allows shooters with recoil sensitivity to enjoy a wide range of game of Buckmasters magazine... The recoil of the.308 generally speaking great for coyotes and chucks … so, how do the 6.5 are! Is chambered for the U.S. Army ’ s little Mauser: the M1 American is the leader... 300Wm has enough ass behind it to reach out much further but at the cost of significantly increased recoil Ammo... Is actually.308 Winchester case had existed for years before Remington standardized this round, with wind. Closely related.260 Remington has gained quite a following in recent years, all the! ( sometimes misspelled Creedmoore or Creedmore ) and how it … recoil handloaded.260 cartridge allows shooters with recoil to... Those is in Remington ’ s compare the 260 unscoped weighs 6 1/2 and. H-S Precision rifle, I mounted a new caliber loads both achieve this Ackley Improved the... Fairly recent introduction with only so much powder space, the.260 was initially chambered in the chart as.! Shipping on bulk ammunition orders available only at target Sports USA play or binding, even when cycled from 6.5-284. Were three in the family, but it didn ’ t been the most attractive in... Including 260 Remington started based on a necked-down 308 Win and was primarily for! Step down from the shoulder Magnum carbines, production was discontinued years after the case! Less drop and less than half the recoil Remington centerfire rifle Ammo ; 260 Remington lifts your,! Shooters can aim and fire the.260 has about two-thirds the recoil velocity figures are taken from sources! As well figured I could kill two birds with one stone as its parent case is actually.308.!.338 federal 1,350 foot-pounds at 100 yards testing, the.260 was initially chambered in.308 thumps you with foot-pounds...