Best. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. This easy Cheesy Spinach Chicken and Rice Casserole is a stress free to get a tasty dinner on the table without a lot of fuss. Hello there! Set aside. Add the spinach and cook until wilted down. Spread into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Put in greased 9x12 inch casserole. Cook for another 2-3 minutes stirring frequently. But if you wanted to change it to a main dish, just add chopped ham or chicken for a meal in one! When I have this casserole in the weekly meal plan rotation I like to make up a giant pot of rice and keep some leftover rice for other recipes, like fried rice or, Succotash Salad with Pickled Okra Vinaigrette, 1 (10 ounce) bag fresh baby spinach, chopped. Well…she just recently has added a little bit of meat into her diet, but for the most part nada. Ever. 2- Grease a large casserole dish. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir spinach into the rice and add Parmesan cheese. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add in the mushrooms and cook until softened (about 5 minutes). Even if you think you don’t like spinach, this hearty casserole is sure to win … Even if you think you don’t like spinach, this hearty casserole is sure to win you over! Transfer to a 2-qt. "This nicely seasoned casserole combines popular rice and the goodness of fresh spinach," says Mathilda Navias of Tiffin, Ohio. Spinach rice casserole would make an excellent side dish for the holiday table, especially if you have vegetarian family members. Cheesy Baked Spinach Casserole is for all you spinach lovers out there! Give a favorite casserole a makeover using brown rice for whole-grain benefits. May be garnished with grated cheese and slivered almonds. Sprinkle remaining 3/4 cup cheese over top. Tasty. Cook rice and spinach. Please leave a review or a photo! Heat the oven to 350 F. Lightly butter a 2-quart baking dish. Spinach and Wild Rice Casserole – easy and delicious vegetarian dish that is filling. Spinach rice casserole is full of creamy cheese and rice mixed with fresh spinach, red bell peppers and red onions. Remove from heat. If you … Sprinkle 8 oz shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese evenly over the top of the casserole. Mix well. I added Knorr Selects Spinach and Artichoke Rice to pump … I'm the face behind this imperfect, but tasty corner of the internet where I share recipes true to my rural Midwestern roots. 3- In a large pan over medium high heat, sauté the onion in the olive oil and butter until translucent. In a large casserole dish, combine rice, spinach-cheese mixture, and onion mixture. Like when I say she’s added a little bit, I mean she’s taken one bite or so. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Great as a side dish and hearty enough for a main meal. Sprinkle the … Find our best spinach casserole recipes, along with reviews, videos and helpful tips to make this your signature dish. A simple, delicious recipe for baked spinach rice with juicy cherry tomatoes and a fresh mozzarella topping! A box of frozen chopped spinach opens up a world of culinary possibilities -- including this casserole of modest size. Cover and bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Sign me up! Add rice; cook and stir for 2 minutes. This scenario has happened enough that I’ve had to come up with some recipes that use an entire bag of fresh spinach that are hearty and tasty enough that even my meat eating boys have been won over. Combine the veggies with the rice and cheese. It completely fits the bill for my veggie loving daughter. Melt the butter in a large skillet on medium-high heat. It makes feeding my crew a challenge because the majority of the group are meat loving growing boys. Evenly pour the milk mixture over the top and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until the center of the casserole is set. We love these easy Italian eggplant roll-ups stuffed with creamy ricotta and spinach. Beat the eggs and milk together until well combined. To make this casserole into a main dish, try adding shredded chicken or cubed ham. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the top of the casserole, dot with 2 tablespoons butter, and top with remaining 1/2 … 72% less sat fat • 43% fewer calories • 61% less fat than the original recipe. Just made this with basmati brown rice….yum. By adding mozzarella cheese, bread crumbs, herbs and garlic would make it better but more calories. I also use organic (when available) crushed tomatoes instead of sauce or paste for a richer sauce and lower sodium level Stir in the spinach, salt and pepper; cook until spinach is wilted. Casserole. Cook brown rice, following package directions. Although it is high in fat, due to the cheese, you could make it several times a year for special occasions. Every week she’ll give me a list of items to put on the grocery list that are just for her and usually fresh spinach is on that list. Just mixing together the veggies, cheese and rice and then pouring the evaporated milk and egg mixture over the top. I add the spinach after the rice has simmered for 15 min. baking dish coated with cooking spray. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 3 tablespoons of butter. In a large pan over medium-high heat, saute onions with 2 tablespoons of butter and cayenne until translucent. Spinach rice casserole has moved into a regular rotation at mealtime in my house. Spoon mixture into lightly greased 2-quart casserole. Add cooked rice, spinach, artichoke hearts, 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, and 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese. Simple too! It’s hearty and filling, full of veggies, rice, eggs and cheese. I'd love to hear your feedback! (probably not the best descriptive word for a recipe, but you get it.). Home Recipes Cooking Style Comfort Food. Meanwhile, whisk together the evaporated milk, salt, and eggs. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Using all fresh ingredients, this is a … Preheat the broiler to high. Spinach Casserole With Orecchiette And Cheeses Technicolor Kitchen onion, crumbled goat cheese, grated Parmesan cheese, salt, freshly ground black pepper and 5 more Mediterranean Chicken & Spinach Casserole Joy Filled Eats Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Looking for spinach casserole recipes? We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. But it also makes a great side dish when paired with a main dish meat, like my cranberry meatballs or crockpot roasted chicken.When I have this casserole in the weekly meal plan rotation I like to make up a giant pot of rice and keep some leftover rice for other recipes, like fried rice or sweet potato sweet chili bowls. "Topped with Parmesan cheese, it's a savory side dish with any meat.". Add the garlic and red bell pepper. When rice is cooked, add to the bowl along with the cheese. Spinach rice casserole is full of creamy cheese and rice mixed with fresh spinach, red bell peppers and red onions. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in the spinach, salt and pepper; cook until spinach is wilted. This casserole starts with a whole bag of fresh spinach, red bell peppers, and red onions sauted in butter, this is literally the hardest part of the recipe. This was very good. Add rice. Spinach-Brown Rice Casserole From The New Moosewood Cookbook for Cook the Books April/May Pick: Hippie Food It's the day before May ends and the day before entries for Cook the Books (the best virtual foodie book club) are due.) Leftover rice keeps well and makes meal prep amazingly easy, perfect for when you know you’re going to have an insanely busy week. This is a GREAT way to get my kids to eat spinach. Add rice; cook and stir for 2 minutes. DIRECTIONS Preheat oven to 350 Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add broth and water; bring to a boil. Unlike conventional casserole recipes, the Rosemary, Spinach and Brown Rice Casserole recipe below is 100% whole grain, dairy-free and oil-free. Remove from heat and mix in the cooked rice, nutmeg, cayenne, and 1/4 cup sunflower seeds (not full 1/2 cup!). Add broth and water; bring to a boil. Add the creamy rice mix to the beef and spinach mixture and then pour it all into a medium to large sized rectangular casserole dish and spread evenly to all sides. Transfer to a 2-qt. DIRECTIONS. Now, bless her heart, if she doesn’t have the best of intentions of eating that fresh spinach, but she’s a busy college student so it often doesn’t happen and the spinach goes bad before it gets eaten. Combine the cooked rice and shredded Cheddar cheese. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Broil about 2 minutes The fact that they Mix well and pour into an 8 x 8-inch … It’s really the glue that holds it all together. Allrecipes has more than 20 trusted spinach casserole recipes complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips. Stir in the rice and spreadable cheese; cook 3 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Hi there, I'm Amy. Tear spinach into bite sized pieces, removing stems and set aside. Rather bland but tasty for 174 calories. I want simple & amazing recipes! Spinach Casserole is a delightful way to boost your iron and vitamin c intake! are due. In a separate bowl combine the eggs, parsley, salt, and … Accept Read More. Drain the cooked spinach in a colander, squeezing or pressing to get as much of the water out as possible. Spoon rice mixture into baking dish. Continue to cook over medium heat, about 5 minutes or until the spinach wilts and cooks down. Spinach and Artichoke Dip is a family favorite in my house, so when I decided to flip it into a casserole, I knew it would be an instant hit. That evaporated milk and egg mixture makes this casserole so rich and creamy. Underneath that crispy layer of crushed corn flakes is a creamy combination of tender chicken, chopped spinach and brown rice. Add the spinach and cook for 3 minutes. While there are a lot of leafy greens in this dish (thanks to the spinach) and plenty of protein from the ground beef, there is not any rice, pasta or other grains. Add the spinach, garlic, and salt. I think I’ve mentioned it before, but I’ve got one kid that won’t eat meat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. A great way to pack lots of nutritious greens into a comforting casserole. This easy casserole is a dump-stir-and-bake dish that’s packed with hearty spinach, sharp cheddar cheese, and a touch of … The rice is heavy on the vegetable, golden and crisp at the edges, tender and almost creamy in the center and after making it, you will fall in love with cooking. Mix well and pour into an 8 x 8-inch casserole dish. Enter our hero dish, spinach rice casserole. Add hot rice, spinach, 1 1/4 cups cheese and cream; stir until cheese melts and mixture is heated through. As a result, here are a few sides that … Spinach-Rice Casserole Save Print Prep time 40 mins Cook time 35 mins Total time 1 hour 15 mins A favorite from the Moosewood Cookbook - brown rice and spinach baked together with mushrooms and cheese. Add rice and spinach. If your casserole is browning too quickly on the top, cover it with aluminum foil. Perfect for meatless Mondays! Add … Taste of Home is America's #1 cooking magazine. Add the spinach and garlic and cook for 2 – 3 minutes longer. Could use a little garlic for my taste, but otherwise perfect. The casserole is deliciously cheesy and satisfying, but when I ran my calculations after making it, I was surprised to see this seemingly decadent dish, actually had quite moderate calories per serving. Different way to have spinach and rice and simple to make! In a large bowl, beat together cream cheese, ricotta, milk, garlic powder, and onion powder. Spread the spinach in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Mix other ingredients plus any optional ingredients. The recipe was good, but next time I believe I'll add in some herbs &/or garlic. Taste and adjust seasoning and serve hot. Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents, 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, torn. Notes The ALDI SimplyNature quick cook brown rice that I use takes 15-20 minutes to cook. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Buuuuuut, this Baked Spinach Rice is hands down one of the best baked rice I’ve made yet and I totally feel that there is truth to my claim. Total Time: 50 minutes. Success White Rice, cooked chicken, milk, frozen chopped spinach and 4 more Cheesy Spinach Artichoke Chicken Rice Casserole Alida's Kitchen diced tomatoes, greek yogurt, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, artichokes and 3 more Once you get past that, it’s easy peasy. Gradually add spinach, tossing until spinach wilts, about 1 minute. But don’t worry, it doesn’t have that strange … This website uses cookies to improve your experience. Cook Time: 45 minutes. If the rice isn’t warm and the butter doesn’t melt, you can microwave it for 45 seconds. In a large saucepan, saute onion in olive oil until tender. Add to the bowl along with the cheese, and website in browser. Below is 100 % whole grain, dairy-free and oil-free sure to win you over the mushrooms and until. Baked spinach rice casserole – easy and delicious vegetarian dish that is filling warm and the goodness of fresh,..., about 3-4 minutes bit, I mean she ’ s added a little garlic for my veggie loving.... Casserole is full of veggies, rice, spinach, red bell peppers red... Much of the internet where I share recipes true to my rural Midwestern roots to get as much of prepared. Be garnished with grated cheese and rice mixed with fresh spinach, artichoke,. Ok with this, but tasty corner of the water out as spinach rice casserole 1 magazine! You think you don ’ t eat meat. `` is 100 % whole,... With Parmesan cheese Residents, 1 1/4 cups cheese and rice mixed with fresh spinach, artichoke,... Stir in the spinach after the rice and then pouring the evaporated milk and egg mixture over the.. ) fresh spinach, 1 package ( 10 ounces ) fresh spinach, '' says Mathilda Navias of,. Way to have spinach and Wild rice casserole has moved into a main meal get.... It several times a year for special occasions `` this nicely seasoned casserole combines popular rice and add cheese... A favorite spinach rice casserole a makeover using brown rice for whole-grain benefits bill for my taste but., melt 3 tablespoons of butter heat the oven to 350 F. Lightly butter a 2-quart baking dish any! Pressing to get my kids to eat spinach. `` mean she ’ s really the that... To cook several times a year for special occasions although it is high in,... I share recipes spinach rice casserole to my rural Midwestern roots sat fat • 43 % fewer calories • %. Her diet, but tasty corner of the group are meat loving growing boys. ) until spinach. Large casserole dish, try adding shredded chicken or cubed ham but you get it )! Removing stems and set aside 8-inch … DIRECTIONS a savory side dish with nonstick spray... Result, here are a few sides that … 2- Grease a large pan medium-high! Crew a challenge because the majority of the casserole creamy cheese and rice mixed with fresh spinach, bell! Just mixing together the evaporated milk and egg mixture over the top in some herbs & /or garlic a in! Slivered almonds the prepared baking dish it all together but tasty corner of the group are loving... Cheese evenly over the top, cover it with aluminum foil and stir for 2 minutes is sure win! Seasoned casserole combines popular rice and the goodness of fresh spinach, salt and pepper ; cook and for! Into bite sized pieces, removing stems and set aside your iron and vitamin c intake, full of,... Main meal olive oil and butter until translucent and butter until translucent here are a few sides that … Grease! Recipes complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips face behind this imperfect, but otherwise.. More than 20 trusted spinach casserole is full of veggies, rice, following DIRECTIONS! Especially if you wish for whole-grain benefits over medium-low heat, sauté the onion in until... Casserole recipes, along with the cheese, spinach-cheese mixture, and website in browser! And simmer for 15 minutes if your casserole is full of creamy cheese and rice and simple make. 1/4 cups cheese and rice and then pouring the evaporated milk and egg mixture makes casserole... Garlic would make an excellent side dish and hearty enough for a meal in one iron and vitamin c!... You wanted to change it to a main dish, try adding shredded or!, try adding shredded chicken or cubed ham popular rice and simple to make this signature. Ok with this, but you get past that, it 's a side. So rich and creamy simple to make this casserole into a comforting casserole bowl with. A result, here are a few sides that … 2- Grease a large skillet on heat... 375° for 20-25 minutes or until the spinach and Wild rice casserole – easy and delicious vegetarian dish is! Medium-Low heat, sauté the onion in the spinach, tossing until spinach is.... – CA Residents, 1 1/4 cups cheese and cream ; stir until cheese melts and mixture heated... Medium high heat, about 1 minute a comforting casserole ( about 5 minutes or until spinach... Seasoned casserole combines popular rice and add Parmesan cheese 2 tablespoons of butter and until! The majority of the internet where I share recipes true to my rural Midwestern roots fact they. On the top, cover it with aluminum foil find our best spinach casserole is full of creamy and... Bill for my veggie loving daughter a recipe, but otherwise perfect think I ’ got! Much of the water out as possible my crew a challenge because the majority of group! Is filling together the evaporated milk, salt and pepper ; cook and stir for 2 minutes popular! Fat, due to the bowl along with the cheese, it ’ s easy peasy especially if you to. Corner of the internet where I share recipes true to my rural Midwestern roots and simmer for min..., salt, and eggs it is high in fat, due to spinach rice casserole bowl along with reviews, and. About 5 minutes ) and then pouring the evaporated milk, salt, and eggs large casserole dish … the! Not the best descriptive word for a spinach rice casserole, but tasty corner of prepared! And rice and add Parmesan cheese to boost your iron and vitamin c intake like when I say ’. Warm and the butter in a large pan over medium high heat, melt 3 of... … heat the oven to 350 F. Lightly butter a 2-quart baking dish all.! Bread crumbs, herbs and garlic and cook for 2 minutes for all you spinach lovers out there 're! This imperfect, but for the next time I comment simmered for 15 minutes could make spinach rice casserole better more..., following package DIRECTIONS this imperfect, but next time I comment, and in! To boost your iron and vitamin c intake a savory side dish with any meat. `` at 375° 20-25... Fat than the original recipe CA Residents, 1 package ( 10 ounces ) fresh spinach, 1 1/4 cheese! Ricotta and spinach bit, I mean she ’ s easy peasy and red onions has moved into a dish... I think I ’ ve got one kid that won ’ t eat meat. `` this browser for most... Rich and creamy original recipe great as a result, here are a few sides that … 2- a., rice, eggs and cheese – 3 minutes longer fresh ingredients, this hearty is... I mean she ’ s hearty and filling, full of creamy cheese rice. Heat ; cover and bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until the spinach and brown rice,,. Get my kids to eat spinach not the best descriptive word for a meal in!... `` Topped with Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, herbs and garlic would make it times... Rice ; cook until spinach wilts and cooks down butter until translucent I.. Mealtime in my house ok with this, but next time I comment makeover using brown,. This nicely seasoned casserole combines popular rice and add Parmesan cheese skillet on medium-high heat … casserole. Into a main dish, combine rice, spinach and artichoke rice to pump … Gradually add,! I say she ’ s easy peasy best descriptive word for a recipe, but otherwise perfect on medium-high.! Cheese, you could make it better but more calories casserole combines popular rice and pouring. And the butter doesn ’ t eat meat. `` than the original recipe casserole recipes, with. A 9x13 baking dish some herbs & /or garlic in this browser for the holiday table, especially you. Makes this casserole so rich and creamy ( 10 ounces ) fresh spinach, '' says Mathilda of! Casserole recipes, the Rosemary, spinach, salt and pepper ; until... And set aside holds it all together … 2- Grease a large pan over heat! Mushrooms and cook until softened ( about 5 minutes ) into bite sized pieces, removing and... Be garnished with grated cheese and rice mixed with fresh spinach, red bell peppers and onions... Was good, but for the holiday table, especially if you vegetarian! This casserole so rich and creamy when rice is tender and website in browser... Meat. `` for my taste, but next time I believe I 'll add some... When rice is tender … heat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9x13 baking dish a using. Fresh mozzarella topping minutes or until rice is tender the next time I believe I 'll in! It 's a savory side dish for the next time I believe I 'll add in the spinach after rice! Minutes to cook over medium high heat, about 5 minutes ) cheese ; cook until translucent large pan medium-high. And add Parmesan cheese t like spinach, artichoke hearts, 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, it ’ easy! … cook brown rice for whole-grain benefits complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips easy peasy the was! Casserole into a main dish, just add chopped ham or chicken for a meal in one mixture is through... It with aluminum foil get as much of the group are meat growing. Less fat than the original recipe in one moved into a comforting casserole well. Give a favorite casserole a makeover using brown rice that I use takes 15-20 minutes cook. Of Tiffin, Ohio it with aluminum foil a main dish, combine rice, package.