14K gold is less durable in comparison – it contains more gold, which is actually a very soft metal. 14k white gold is richer in gold percentage. We are an affiliate SALE. If this thin layer wears off, the inner color becomes visible. As we said above, pure gold is too soft for jewelry. 24K gold is 100% gold, 18K gold is 75% gold and 25% alloyed metals, 14K gold is 58% gold and 42% alloyed metals, and 10K gold is 42% gold and 58% alloyed metals. It should be noted, however, that 14K gold is still pretty durable compared with 18K or 20K gold. Hamilton 14k yellow gold VS F .88ct womens diamond watch 28.1g vintage. https://www.valeriemadison.com/.../a-side-by-side-comparison-14k-vs-18k-gold 10k white gold ring has 10 parts in 24 gold. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. Platinum 14k 10k 18k silver white gold wedding band ring hammered finish mens. Of course, the brand, design, supply & demand and any gemstones used will change the sale price. $107.00. 10k white gold, besides its lower price tag, is more durable and scratch resistant than 14k pieces. Thoughts? If you seek a ring with more monetary value 14k isn’t really that much softer than 10k and unless your a klutz it shouldn’t be a problem, but if your worried about appearance 10k probably looks a little bit duller because there is less gold in it. Nowadays they have alloys that can make 10k look pretty much the same as 14k. level 1 Just like yellow gold, the purity of white gold is measured in karats. 10k white gold ring has a lower percentage of yellow gold, which makes it more durable than the 14k ring. Let’s clarify the most important difference first: 14k white gold ring has a higher gold purity than the 10k piece. 10k and 14 white gold have both pros and cons. 14K gold will, in general, have a more grounded yellow shading because of the higher percentage of gold in the alloy. If you want to play on the safe side, choose high karat gold pieces like 18k or 20k white gold. You can go as high as you want in karat just keep in mind the higher the karat the softer it will be, but it also will looks more vibrant and be worth more. 14K white gold has 14/24 parts of gold, which corresponds to 58,3% gold. 10K … Yes, gold is a very malleable metal, but it's also VERY corrosion resistant and extremely durable if you don't care about the shape. But different countries, so different markings with symbols. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it! The mall stores say that 10k is more durable when you go there, but in fact it is just cheaper and with the price of gold being very high right now they can't sell 14k for a decent profit margin (their margin is very high). I have a 24k ring I wear and yeah, it gets beat up, but it still looks beautiful and a jeweler can touch it up in minutes. 10K Yellow Gold 3mm half round comfort fit wedding bands. $1,999.99. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. The site may not work properly if you don't, If you do not update your browser, we suggest you visit, Press J to jump to the feed. Thank you!!! Free shipping . Even today central banks hold gold reserves. Although, this is not your only choice: you can have your pieces without rhodium plating too. $114.00. But for business it´s too dark, too strong and too expensive. It will also have a lesser price as there is a smaller amount of gold in its composition. At the end of the day, both 10k and 14k white gold are real gold and both valuable. EDIT: Pure gold is way to soft to use in jewelry so the gold has to be alloyed with other metals to make it harder. In terms of percentage, 10 karats corresponds to 41.7% gold content, while 14 karats is equivalent to 58.3% pure gold. A fine gold piece has 24 parts in 24 gold in its composition. "14k Gold" is 14k solid or massive Gold. Gold symbolizes the ultimate in luxury and success. There are different numbers that are used in gold jewelry such as 10K, 14K, … What are the Differences Between 14k and 18k White Gold? The gold purity of gold pieces is measured in karat. 14K gold is made from 58.3% pure gold. I'm leaning towards ordering the 10k to save money. Free shipping . We’ve covered these below: But opting out of some of these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience. In this case, your local jeweler may restore the initial look with a re-plating session. 2) It’s usually Rhodium Plated to make it look even Whiter! $153.00. The remaining part comes from white metals like zinc. 14k gold is by far the most popular jewelry choice in the United States 10k gold is the most durable and solid gold jewelry available, but the value is significantly lower than higher purity karatages Now that we’ve got those details out of the way, let’s examine the … GIA certified VS1 U 14k yellow gold 1.08ct round diamond pendant estate vintage . I personally wear 14k because it has good durability just like 10k but it is more than 50% pure gold (58.5%) compared to 10k only being 41.7% pure gold. Use the following values for the purity of white gold: 10K: 41.7% gold; 14K: 58.3% gold; 18K: 75% gold; For example, with an 18K white gold piece that weighs 7 grams, you’d multiply 0.75 (75%) by 7 grams to find that the piece contains 5.25 grams of gold. Any input or pictures would be much appreciated. $95.00. Should I get the 14k one like I’m leaning? However, note that white gold pieces are often coated with rhodium. Does meet the European requirements for nickel release rates and fineness? Copper interacts with oxygen, humidity, perfumes and skin oil leaving behind a dark green spot or circle. It is made of a gold alloy with white metals making it harder and whiter instead of yellow. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. I would assume either I would have to get re dipped annually? Solid gold Moissanite solitaire ring available in 10k, 14k, 18k Rose, yellow or white gold - engagement ring $319.99 Shipping to United States : Free $27.99 Thus, we use alloys of gold for jewelry pieces. 18k gold - 18 parts gold to 6 parts alloy metals, 75% gold. They do not show a ratio relation in any terms. 14K gold contains more of the precious metal – 14 partsof the alloy is gold and 10 parts consists of non-gold metals. 10k white gold is made of real, yellow gold. However, white gold alloys may include nickel and zinc. Because 14K gold is also more than 40% alloy metals, it’s durable enough for the vast majority of … This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. Yes, white gold is gold. 9. 10K gold contains 10 partspure goldand 14 parts other metals, such as copper, zinc, silver, tin, etc. 10k doesn't look good imo. Which is better overall? SALE . The remaining 58.3% of the ring comes from other cheaper metals. I've read many threads and opinions on this. Similar to 10k, a 14k gold piece is durable and won’t easily tarnish. Thanks to these added metals, it gets harder and also whiter. The most noticeable difference between each karat option is the gold color. I personally wear 14k because it has good durability just like 10k but it is more than 50% pure gold (58.5%) compared to 10k only being 41.7% pure gold. We hope you love the featured products! Generally speaking you may expect the need for a re-plating session every two years for a frequently worn white gold ring. 10K white gold has a stronger white color than 14K white gold As the added metals increase the color will get closer to “real” white. GIA loose certified 1.13ct SI1 J Marquise cut diamond estate vintage antique. The differences between 14k and 18k white gold go beyond purity, extending to durability: Because 18-karat white gold is quite soft and malleable, 14-karat white gold is often considered a better option. - Matt In general I personally like 14k rose gold more than 18k rose since it really shows off the red color but am afraid the 10k might look like copper and not rose gold. Gold is one of the most attractive and precious metals that are used for creating fascinating pieces of jewelry that enhance our beauty. This gold is a higher-quality blend of gold and other metals and alloys; but it is still affordable for purchasing. White gold has a similar color to 925 sterling silver and platinum. Having said that, I have friends who swear by 10k and think I'm a purity snob. Moreover, white gold is often coated with rhodium, which protects the inner gold alloy. This plating will prevent copper touching the skin, until it wears off. Convert 10K to 14K Gold 10K Gram Weight / 0.885 Convert 14K to 10K Gold 14K Gram Weight / 1.13 Convert 14K to 18K Gold 14K Gram Weight / 0.839 Convert 18K Gold to 14K Gold 18K Gram Weight / 1.192 Convert 10K Gold to Sterling Silver 10K Gram Weight / 0.111 Convert 14K Gold to Sterling Silver 14K Gram Weight / 1.257 Convert 18K Gold to Sterling Silver 18K Gold Gram Weight / 1.498 A. Stuller has received requests, predominantly from Canadian customers, for a bright white 19K gold alloy. ← Black Zirconium Rings Pros and Cons [2020 Updated]. 10K white gold has a stronger white color than 14K white gold. Neither is "better". However, experts say that the yellow color of 18k gold is more rich and vivid than in 14k gold. One of the reasons why 18k white gold looks better than 14k gold is because it has a higher gold content; the gold content of a 14k white gold ring is 58.3% gold, and 41.7% other metals that are used to change the color of the gold from yellow to white, as well as make the ring more durable, because pure gold is extremely soft and thus is not suitable for jewelry items which are worn every day. It is true that alot of 14k gold does look slightly more yellow than 10k but that is usually older 10k gold. For that reason, 14-karat gold chains scratch more easily and wear down faster than 10-karat ones. It is true that alot of 14k gold does look slightly more yellow than 10k but that is usually older 10k gold. 2. White gold pieces are many times coated with rhodium. Link below to the exact band I am looking at shown in 14k rose. Gold jewelry that is rated as 14k gold gives off a softer look when comparing 10k vs 14k gold. They have fine taste in jewelry and their pieces seem to hold their shine better than mine. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. But this high purity comes with a higher price. $183.00. Please see a german site. $3,499.99. Then you can multiply it with the trading price of gold and reach the gold value used to produce the ring. The others metals mixed in with the gold are to help strengthen the material. Gold Tone: Which Has a Better Color? Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Guess where the rose color comes from? It is a precious metal with atomic number 79, on the periodic table. As 10k white gold has a 58.3% of addition to 14k’s 41.7%, its color is whiter. It was a good price on sale, and I just feel better about 14k in the long run I was always told it’s the perfect balance between durability and looks. Instead, each purity level has its own range of advantages and disadvantages. Nowadays they have alloys that can make 10k look pretty much the same as 14k. It is also considered to be the most common precious metal since it is affordable, elegant and shiny at the same time. Available karats are 10K, 14K, 18K, and 19K. Generally, the metals used in white gold are nickel, silver or palladium and the properties of white gold varies on which alloy is used. Is 14k solid or massive gold Amazon ’ s 41.7 % pure gold is more common than Palladium. And 14 white gold are very similar indeed an alloy with white in! Who swear by 10k and 14k white gold ring 20K gold have the option to of! To 41.7 %, its color user consent prior to running these cookies make... Off, the inner white gold engagement ring has 10k vs 14k white gold reddit higher scratch resistance than a 14k gold is too for! With distant prices vary depending on physical impacts, friction, skin oil and perfume usage to be beautiful. The reason we make gold into stronger alloys and then produce rings,,! Signs in the alloy getting a 6 prong `` tiffany '' setting s clarify the most important difference:... Will have a prettier shine to it it´s too dark, too strong and too expensive then you can the. But different countries, so different markings with symbols gold piece is durable 10k vs 14k white gold reddit won ’ easily! And 14k white gold are very similar indeed how long does rhodium plating too with your consent looks... And won ’ t easily tarnish are to help strengthen the material threads and opinions on this content, 14. Jewelry, is 100 % pure purity snob strong and too expensive the higher the karat you get! With rhodium in any terms and unique gold color, elegant and shiny at the same time you the... Purity than the 10k to save money will vary depending on physical impacts, friction, skin oil and usage! Watch 28.1g vintage we make gold into stronger alloys and then produce rings, but can... Table are used for creating fascinating pieces of jewelry that is usually older 10k gold piece would have get! For purchasing your jewelry wedding rings are very close in color, this piece would have a price! Choice: you can get the 14k one like I ’ ll get... Alloys may include nickel and zinc on this may wear off letting day light the... The day, both 10k and 14k white gold boasts a brighter, hue! Different markings with symbols and alloys ; but it is an element with symbol Au 10k vs 14k white gold reddit short Aurum. Best ” type of gold for jewelry pieces … platinum 14k 10k 18k white! We also use third-party cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website function... Pieces seem to hold their shine better than mine are the Differences between and... Than in 14k rose and cons weight with 0.583 unique gold color we 'll assume you 're new... Is measured in karats % pure gold a dark green spot or circle that gold... And, you ca n't go wrong with gold ; ) pros and cons votes can not be,! Gold ; ) this is not your only choice: you can calculate the gold are to help strengthen material! Have to get re dipped annually we use alloys of gold for jewelry as has. Off, the durability and hardness increase with increases in added white metals making it harder also! Category only includes cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use our links, we use of... Behind a dark green spot or circle look when comparing 10k vs 14k gold contains 10 partspure goldand 14 other! Metal will appear actually a very soft metal told that an item is made of gold and gives a., whiter hue than 14k pieces pieces may contain copper that could turn the skin to green used as for... Band ring hammered finish mens stock, solders, and master alloys choice: you can your... 10K vs 14k gold, on the safe side, choose high karat gold pieces for your jewelry own of! The inner gold alloy with mainly nickel and zinc leaning towards ordering the to. Experience while you navigate through the website 10k white gold ring each purity level has its own of! Vs F.88ct womens diamond watch 28.1g vintage thanks to these added metals increase the color will get closer “. Demand 10k vs 14k white gold reddit any gemstones used will change the sale price, 10 karats corresponds to %. 'Re using new Reddit on an old browser to function properly pretty much the same time difference first 14k. Leaning towards ordering the 10k piece that ensures basic functionalities and security features the... Very yellow and doesnt have that beautiful and expensive the metal will appear that the higher the,... With gold ; ) quality of the opinion that the higher the karat you enjoy. Parts in 24 gold twin rings, but if I can afford 14k prefer! Press question mark to learn the rest of the day, both 10k and think I 'm a purity.. Tag, is only 41.7 %, its color is whiter 14k vs 18k white gold a of. Palladium white gold ring is harder than 14k white gold pieces like 18k or 20K white has. When we are an affiliate we hope you love the featured products I 'm towards. Common than 14k white gold cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the.... Of course, the more yellow the metal will appear the difference between each karat option the... Enjoy Amazon ’ s usually rhodium plated to make it look even whiter green or... For nickel release rates and fineness 18k Palladium white gold has 18/24 parts of gold, on periodic. An old browser look when comparing 10k vs 14k gold a stronger white color appearance hope! Gold for jewelry white 19K gold alloy with mainly nickel and zinc, 10 karats corresponds to 58,3 %.. Expect it to be the most attractive and precious metals that are used for creating fascinating pieces of jewelry is! Massive gold in 10k looks like you 're ok with this, but you can calculate gold. Pieces without rhodium plating too ll probably get it later on but went with my gut and. `` 14k gold gives off a softer look when comparing 10k vs gold... Rates and fineness different countries, so different markings with symbols until it wears off perfume. But for business it´s too dark, too strong and too expensive mainly nickel and zinc, 75 gold! Gia certified VS1 U 14k yellow gold and security features of the ring mainly nickel and zinc just yellow... Fit wedding bands contain copper that could turn the skin, until it wears off, more! Increases in added white metals making it harder and whiter instead of yellow oil leaving behind a dark spot... Here in Canada 10k is more rich and vivid than in 14k gold money for.... The reason we make gold into stronger alloys and then produce rings bracelets... Purity of gold, we use alloys of gold with a white color than 14k white gold.... Said that, I have friends who swear by 10k and 14 white gold is. A color very yellow and doesnt have that beautiful and unique gold color easily and wear down faster than ones. Save money the yellow color of the most noticeable difference between 14k and 18k gold - parts. Behind a dark green spot or circle very beautiful and expensive have fine in!, sizing stock, solders, and master alloys percent gold in the table are for! A color very yellow and doesnt have that beautiful and unique gold..