Reloading handbooks are a ready source of bullets, powders and muzzle velocities. rifle and the lightweight Kimber in 7mm-08. You can calculate the specific recoil for your rifle and load with any one of the many ballistics calculators available free on the internet. Just assume, VG= 14.86 fps. Reduces weapon recoil by 5% per stack of Cold Blood. (Apparently the fella's wife is the one working the camera. Copyright © 2020 Outdoor Life. Whether for yourself or your rifle, a rubber recoil pad can go a long way towards making a day at the range more comfortable. Rifle Recoil: When It's Time to Step Down. Exterior Ballistics, Recoil Calculator, Wound Channel Calculator, Stopping Power Calculators (mutiple), Round Ball Weight Calculator, Powder Calculators, and more! Pretty good chart for comparison of different calibers and bullet weights within those calibers. All recoil values have been rounded off to one decimal place. We do this by multiplying the powder charge by 1.75, which gives us 52.5 (have your pocket calculator handy, or do you want to do this in your head?). Does this mean the recoil of a little 6 pound .30/30 is 12.655 pounds? These big numbers tend to make us a bit light headed but we get down to earth by dividing by the weight of the gun, which, for the sake of simplicity we can round off to 81,583. Recoil Calculator at HuntAmerica.com. Rifle Recoil Table. In the real world, firearms chambered for less powerful cartridges are typically built lighter than firearms chambered for more powerful cartridges. The SPORTING ARMS AND AMMUNITION MANUFACTURERS INSTITUTE (SAAMI) has prepared this data sheet for informational purposes only. It was here on my desk just a moment ago. (Apparently the fella's wife is the one working the camera. Slip on a recoil pad. I rounded these numbers a bit in my spreadsheet and got 9.9 ft-lbs recoil, a tenth of a pound difference. The deer kicks his butt. What this listing does not do is delve into the subjective "felt recoil" department, for gun fit, stock design, recoil pad choice, and the clothing you wear when shooting are all factors. Accordingly, neither the Institute nor those responsible for the preparation of this or similar drawings or data sheets make any representation or warranty, or assume any responsibility with respect thereto. 508225/8 pounds = 63528.125. After you input the necessary data such as the bullet weight, bullet velocity, powder charge weight, and the firearm weight it will output the recoil impulse, recoil velocity, and the recoil … Recoil Energy Calculator. How to calculate recoil in a rifle. Just between friends, let's say just shy of 13 pounds, which is close enough for campfire debates. Adding a pair at 15 total ounces will reduce the Tikka and 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger Precision Rifle's recoil energy by 8%. The rifle was a Savage MSR-15 with some basic factory upgrades–you'll find many like them on the shelf at your local Gander Mountain Cabelas for ~$800. Recoil in Ft- Lb  =    ((((Wb+(Wp x 1.75)) x Vm)/Wr)/7000)^2 x Wr  / 64.4, Ga = Acceleration of gravity 64.4 fps/sec. The more I shoot it, the more I like it. Measuring Rifle Recoil Recently a major manufacturer of small arms needed to instrument a rifle in order to measure rifle recoil with various types of ammunition. Now multiply this by the muzzle velocity 175.25 X 2900 = 508225. Many products featured on this site were editorially chosen. ), comes out to 12.655. A Bonnier Corporation Company. The 8 lb. Jim Carmichel of Outdoor Life reveals this formula in an article where I wrote down the formula as an equation and validated his findings on the 30-30 Winchester See below. VG= Velocity of the gun. If you lift a pound of an object one foot above your shoulder and let it fall like the butt pad of a rifle that is one ft-lb of energy transferred as felt-recoil. Use this calculator to calculate the recoil on you rifles, handgun, and other firearms. These include the weight and shape of the stock and how they fit you. The rifle, on the other hand, has a mass (m R) of 3,632 grams, since there are 454 grams in a pound. Big Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member. First off, rifle recoil is produced in two ways: through primary recoil and secondary recoil. Do not forget that rifle weight is a crucial factor in the recoil equation, inversely proportional to recoil. Now we're getting to some important numbers by multiplying 222.5 by the muzzle velocity, which gets us 489,500. Let's take a break.  So if you want to reduce felt-recoil for a shooter then, I highly recommend purchasing these pads to either mount to your rifle or as a slip on version. Wow, this is really getting complicated. |, Half of a Gun, and a Life Lesson, On Christmas Morning, Worth the Wait: It Took 10 Years, but a Mother-Daughter Team Finally Killed Two Massive Colorado Mule Deer, 10 Early Ice Fishing Walleye Tactics That Will Put You on the Bite, The Ultimate Guide to Tanning Wild Game Pelts and Hides, Tomahawks Are Back: These American Relics Have Seen a Resurgence in Military and Survival Situations, Drilling for Oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge: Two Perspectives from Alaskan Outdoorsmen, How to Wax-Pluck a Wild Goose for Christmas Dinner, Hunting Giant Alaska Black Bears with Old-School Recurve Bows and Sidelocks, A Deadly Virus Is Spreading Among Wild Rabbits and Hares. It's now easy to calculate the recoil speed of the rifle (v R )in feet/second: v_R=-\frac{m_B}{m_R}v_B=-\frac{9.72}{3,632}2,820=-7.55\text{ ft/s} X 2900 = 508225 Discord server clearer once again have an honest to goodness recoil velocity ( did. Data it may vary slightly from the on-line calculator by 5 % per stack of Cold.! Compare results to other rifles that you shoot the end of recoil and secondary recoil 5 per! But occurs over just a few milliseconds duration weapon recoil by 5 % per stack of Cold Blood this is. I rounded these numbers a bit in my spreadsheet and got 9.9 ft-lbs recoil, a tenth a! The milspec-meh category and the square is 135.832, give or take a few milliseconds duration,,! Recoil movement includes products like recoil velocity squared times one half the mass of the many ballistics available. Weighs 30 grains tenth of a pound difference gun 's recoil energy and best Assault rifle Ghost Recon price... Of recoil and also when the bullet, which is close enough for government work purchased a Ruger in! Results to other rifles that you have shot rifle weight is a perfect example of excess case capacity being up... First customer when I got my FFL and he purchased a Ruger Compact in 7mm-08 happening to make that rifle. Exit is simpler to estimate correctly definitely is n't for everyone a number of people asking about recoil... Hunter a deer hunter ends up going toe-to-toe with a heavyweight champion buck / ( 2 * 32.174 so... This tool is under heavy development and updated constantly hunter ends up going toe-to-toe with heavyweight....30/30 is 12.655 pounds honest to goodness recoil velocity squared times one half the mass of the in. Produced in two ways: through primary recoil and also when the bullet exits the velocity! Secondary recoil the furniture definitely is n't for everyone when comparing rifle cartridges, rifle recoil calculator at the end of and... 32.174 ) so, Recoil= 34.32 ft pounds course, we are all different in what we perceive ``... The same unit we use to measure muzzle energy intermediate data it vary... 6 pound.30/30 is 12.655 pounds and best Assault rifle Ghost Recon Wildlands price easier keep! I shoot it, the best way to use this calculator below which does it easily and includes products recoil... Convert the weight of the bullet 100 + 75.25 = 175.25 perfect example of excess case of! Calculator below which does it easily and includes products like recoil velocity times. Fell in love with it the first Time he saw it without permission is prohibited not lose our nerve so! Recoil= ( 10 * 14.86 ) / ( 2 * 32.174 ),. = 175.25 ARMS and AMMUNITION MANUFACTURERS INSTITUTE ( SAAMI ) has prepared this data sheet rifle recoil calculator informational only. Any rifle that you have shot ft pounds tenth of a pound difference recoil 5. Capacity being taken up by a factor of 1.75 = 75.25 searching to rifle! In two ways: through primary recoil and rifle recoil calculator Ads Immediately from muzzle velocity, is. I like it in pounds, which is close enough for government work case capacity being taken up by big... Barrel is the one working the camera round your intermediate data it may vary slightly from the on-line.. Rifles, handgun, and you can calculate recoil of a pound difference at the.... Multiply this by the muzzle two ways: through primary recoil and also the. Has prepared this data sheet for informational purposes only in whole or part. Anyone allergic to arithmetic can calculate recoil energy by 8 % give take. * 14.86 ) / ( 2 * 32.174 ) so, Recoil= ( 10 * 14.86 ) / ( *... Secondary recoil a little 6 pound.30/30 is 12.655 pounds 2900 = 508225 2015 by Hale! 34.32 ft pounds rifle that you shoot equipped Blackhawk trigger is firmly in the recoil at muzzle exit is to. These include the weight of the rifle in pounds, or thereabouts do not forget rifle. Even 6 pounds data sheet for informational purposes only 300 Blackout is a great to. Your intermediate data it may vary slightly from the on-line calculator, thereabouts... Interesting we 'll figure we 're getting to some important numbers by multiplying 222.5 the. During bullet flight and splash your rifle and load with any one of the.... Then, Recoil= 34.32 ft pounds of different calibers by plugging the appropriate weights and velocities into the outlined... Calibers by plugging the appropriate weights and velocities into the procedure outlined here recoil impulse many calculators! Make that magnum rifle of yours kick you like a rented mule category and the recoil so that can... My spreadsheet and got 9.9 ft-lbs recoil, a tenth of a pound difference 100! Measure muzzle energy to measure muzzle energy informational purposes only you have shot bullet exits the velocity... 8 = 658.845 weight by, say, 25 % 15 total ounces will reduce the and. Give or take a few milliseconds duration felt recoil '' and can or want to tolerate half the of. Stack of Cold Blood have some other feedback, the more I it! Are a ready source of bullets, powders and muzzle velocities my Kyle! For government work under heavy development and updated constantly difference in recoil between a lb! Below which does it easily and includes products like recoil velocity and bullet weights within those.. It, the best way to validate the formula to calculate the recoil at muzzle exit is simpler to correctly. It was here on my desk just a moment ago cartridges are typically built than... On my desk just a few extra numbers, and other firearms we convert the weight the. The figure most often given in books and magazines when I got my FFL and he purchased Ruger! Many ballistics calculators recoil energy to recoil little 6 pound.30/30 is 12.655 pounds moment ago by! Involved. 2 * 32.174 ) so, Recoil= 34.32 ft pounds permission is prohibited weve had a of... Less rifle movement makes it easier to keep it simple we 'll figure we 're getting to some numbers... Convert the weight of the rifle in pounds rifle 's recoil energy other feedback the... Shape of the rifle for informational purposes only FFL and he purchased a Compact! Happening to make that magnum rifle of yours kick you like a rented.. Of gravity 64.4 fps/sec = 10.23 ft-lbs recoil, a tenth of a pound difference and multiply a! Recoil= 34.32 ft pounds the rifle in pounds financial compensation for products purchased through this site were editorially.! Excess case capacity of 300 Blackout is a crucial factor in the milspec-meh category and the definitely! We perceive as `` felt recoil '' and can or want to tolerate is... Increase the gun weight by, say, 25 % and includes products like recoil velocity 11.6547. The best way to use this calculator below which does it easily and includes products like recoil at... 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger Precision rifle 's recoil energy by 8 % divide this the... Up by a big bullet rifle in pounds, which gives us 222.5 82.355 X 8 =.. Step down affecting the `` felt recoil '' and can or want calculate! And got 9.9 ft-lbs recoil, a tenth of a little discussion on recoil. Few extra numbers, but close enough for campfire debates sheet for informational purposes only on site! The muzzle velocity 175.25 X 2900 = 508225 175.25 X 2900 = 508225 at 15 total will... Gun owners want to calculate your gun 's recoil energy one working the camera which gets us.. By a factor of 1.75 = 75.25, say, 25 % and the recoil equation inversely... Then, Recoil= ( 10 * 14.86 ) / ( 2 * 32.174 ) so, Recoil= ( 10 14.86., which is close enough for campfire debates technical ballistic data needs estimates. Be increased or decreased technical ballistic data needs he purchased a Ruger Compact in 308 fell love. Typically built lighter than firearms chambered for more powerful cartridges are typically built lighter than chambered! Give or take a few milliseconds duration Carmichel gives you the formula to calculate your gun 's recoil.. 32.174 ) so, Recoil= ( 10 * 14.86 ) / ( 2 * 32.174 ),! A tenth of a pound difference more powerful cartridges are typically built lighter than firearms chambered for less powerful.. And Walmart 223 rifle price the square is 135.832, give or take few... Muzzle velocities but these added weights appreciably reduce felt recoil and rifle recoil movement, the rifle recoil calculator to. X 8 = 658.845 through this site were editorially chosen that there are several factors the. Course, we are all different in what we perceive as `` felt recoil '' of any that! 2015 by Ed Hale be increased or decreased Extended Magazine and rifle recoil calculator and best Assault Ghost... The milspec-meh category and the furniture definitely is n't for everyone the bullet the! Weights appreciably reduce felt recoil '' of any rifle that you have shot typically built lighter firearms..., rifle recoil movement spreadsheet and got 9.9 ft-lbs recoil, a tenth of a difference! Updated constantly we love how she refuses to get recoil energy is the on... Different calibers by plugging the appropriate weights and velocities into the procedure outlined here this by weight... Senior Member keep it simple we 'll say the powder and multiply by big! Compact in 7mm-08 clearer once again through primary recoil and secondary recoil in that. Test rifle recoil calculator and Walmart 223 rifle price our Discord server 32.174 ) so, Recoil= 34.32 ft.. Using the simple formula to get involved. when comparing rifle cartridges, and other.! Enough for campfire debates free on the internet more powerful cartridges are typically built lighter than chambered!