They do need to be trimmed back after flowering. My green thumb comes from my parents, and I've been gardening most of my life. Your email address will not be published. Pruning perennials is always dicey due to timing. A tree that has been pruned to take on an unnatural shape requires much more ongoing care and maintenance which I will write about in a subsequent article. I know it can be hard to wait so long before pruning lavender after winter, especially when the plant looks so ugly. Spanish lavender is sometimes called “rabbit ears” for its unusual blossom. Could it cause problems to do it this late if there is an early snow? Step 3: Cut off any dead branches – You can cut any dead branches all the way down to get rid of them. Really pretty, blooms like crazy but has become a bushy mess. The 8 best perfect-for-privacy garden trees. Lavenders (Lavendula spp.) That’s because it’s been nurtured and monitored since day one, shipped with care, and selected by experts. Your plant should be quite a bit larger this year, with more blooms. The Lavender Patio Tree is priced at $15.99. How To Grow Lavender From Seed & When To Plant, How To Prune Russian Sage: Step-By-Step Instructions, How To Prune Chives & Deadhead The Flowers, How To Prune Tomatoes For Maximum Production, Here’s a post that is all about harvesting lavender, Here’s an article about how to care for lavender, Lasagna Gardening 101: How To Make A Lasagna Garden, 7 Easy DIY Potting Soil Recipes To Mix Your Own, How To Make Potting Soil For Indoor Plants, Terms Of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy. The Lavender Patio Tree is priced at $15.99. I live and garden in Minneapolis, MN (zone 4b). Here’s an article about how to care for lavender that you may also find useful. All year round, check the plant for dead or dying shoots and remove them promptly with a pair of sanitized pruning shears. Your email address will not be published. He cut it right back to the brown, especially in one part that was beginning to look gappy. It plumped up again before Christmas, and made elegant grey mounds for the winter garden. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. Once established, lavenders are low maintenance and drought tolerant plants. Some shrubs can take severe pruning and hatracking, but pruning lavender too hard wouldkill it. Facts about hard pruning lavender. Next up, learn exactly how to grow lavender in our detailed lavender plant care guide! Harvesting is just cutting of the pieces or flower buds as you need them to use for recipes or other purposes. Fertilizing. Remove your lavender's flower stalks when the flowers begin to fade. Once you master the basics of giving plants a proper site and pruning regularly, you’re on your way to a gorgeous, productive perennial. Fertilize with all-purpose, water-soluble fertilizer at half strength every four weeks during … My brand new book Vertical Vegetables is now available for purchase!! How to Overwinter Lavender Indoors & Outdoors. If your lavender has outgrown its spot you can reduce its size by one-third. Step 1: Find the fresh new leaves on the stem – To figure out where to make the cut on each branch, find the spot where the new leaves are growing. Pruning once a year is great. Inventory and pricing at your store will vary and are subject to change at any time. You prune English lavender by cutting it back by two thirds in the late August. There are many woody branches so what do I cut and whastays? I would wait until spring to prune your lavender, rather than doing it in the fall. Once the lavender has woken up -- rule of thumb is 1/3 of the plant or 2 inches above the wood. In this post, I will tell you when to cut back lavender plants, give you tons of tips, and show you exactly how to trim lavender step-by-step. Failure to prune at least once a year will result in your lavender becoming leggy. It has pointed leaves and tight, upright spear-like flowers in midsummer. Don’t shear straight across. Many times this will be towards the bottom of the stem, so carefully move any debris or other branches out of the way until you find it. Step 2: Prune lavender right above the new growth – Cut the old stem back to just above the top of the new growth. Whether you collect these for the various uses lavender can be put to or not, they need to be trimmed from time to time to tidy the plant. There are two ways to rejuvenateold, woody lavender: 1. severe pruningone third at a time 2. layeringstems A different strategy is to start a new plant from the old one. Cut back the rest of the lavender so that approximately 1 to 2 inches of green stem remain above woody brown stems. When trimming back lavender in the summer, you can focus on shaping the plant, rather than worrying about exactly where to make each cut. I am not sure what to cut to reshape this plant. Cut off about the top third of each lavender stem in early spring when green leaves begin to emerge from the base of the plant. Well it really isn't a big deal to get uptight about. While pruning in spring can delay flowering, it is a good time to trim away dead or damaged parts. Find new leaves before cutting back lavender plants. It plumped up again before Christmas, and made elegant grey mounds for the winter garden. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in urban and regional studies. But spring pruning is very important to get rid of the ugly winter damage and encourage fresh lavender growth. Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.Please read my disclosure for more info.. It is a tough lavender that puts up with a lot of guff from me and keeps on growing and blooming. Prune your Lavender plants just as the new growth begins, cutting back as to leave some new shoots at the base of each branch. Plant the tree at the same level it was growing previously. Otherwise, lavender shouldn’t need any extra care outdoors. But before you grab your pruners, it’s important to understand exactly how to prune lavender plants, because over pruning can end up killing your plant. Aim to let soil dry to a depth of 1 inch between waterings. Pruning lavender is not hard, but it’s important to know what you’re doing before you start in order to avoid over pruning. While the plant is in bloom, usually in mid-summer, gather up the flower stalks and once again prune the plant back to 2 - 3 inches above where the soft, green growth begins on the lower part of the plant. The same rule for pruning applies if you prune in the fall (before the first frost - late/Sept, early Oct). Pretty awesome! Do this pruning no later than 3 weeks before your first frost date. This is important because the parts of the plant that turn to wood will not produce new lavender stalks. In the fall, after the second flush … are perennial herbs prized for their fragrance, attractive white, pink or purplish flowers, grayish foliage and drought tolerance. Waiting to prune lets the plant form oldereventually woodygrowth that responds less well to pruning. Prune these lavender in spring when all frost is finished for the season. It is best to know your climate so you can make an informed decision as to when to trim your lavender. These lovely Lavender Patio Trees are currently available in the store. One important thing to keep in mind whenever you’re pruning lavender is to never cut the woody stems below the leaves. So you might find that those branches that look dead in early spring may end up growing in the summer. No matter where it’s planted, from patio to deck and beyond, it does its job. Mine is a plant on a long stem with the bush firming a ball. Lavender can be very slow to get started in the spring. Pruning your Lavender will prevent your shrub from turning to wood. He cut it right back to the brown, especially in one part that was beginning to look gappy. If lavender isn’t pruned regularly, it will become woody and produce fewer fragrant leaves and flowers. Color and Fragrance, From Patios to Yards Effortless versatility and adaptability merge to make the Lavender Standard second to none. The new leaf buds are very fragile and can easily break off when mishandled. Follow the instructions above in the section titled “Tips For Pruning Lavender In Summer”. Since they are starting to go dormant, you don’t want to encourage new growth in the fall. 2. Grow lavender in your garden and you’ll be rewarded with colorful flowers and wonderful fragrance—all from a low-maintenance plant. When pruning well established lavender, cut just above the third node from the wood. However, I would strongly urge you to wait before you cut off any branches that look dead, especially if you’re new to pruning lavender. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees through links to Amazon.com. In late summer shape foliage into a … Use any physically damaged portion of the lavender as desired but dispose of any spittlebug-infested portion of the plant away from the lavender and any other desirable vegetation. Pruning Potted Lavender. If you’re wondering how to prune lavender and when to prune lavender at the correct time, have no fear. This can be done through: 1. preparingcuttings 2. harvesting and growing from seeds Let’s take a lo… English lavender is the most common (and the hardiest), and it’s the variety that I grow. Cut the stalks off as close to the leaves as possible. Pruning. Summer pruning is good for shaping lavender plants, keeping them full and compact, and it helps to delay woody growth. It is a shorter growing lavender which fits well in the area that I have it. I’m not sure how the weather is in your neck of the woods, but pruning encourages fresh new growth, which can be killed off by freezing fall/winter temps. If you’re too nervous to cut it back that far, then you can try deadheading lavender instead. Here are detailed instructions on how to prune back your Lavender to keep its shape, encourage repeat blooming and to maintain vigor. After the plant is done blooming in the summer, cut back 1/3 to 1/2 of the new growth, being careful not to cut any branches down to the leafless wood. Prune your lavender tree frequently, giving it a basic clipping to maintain the shape. Pruning Lavender In warm climates, all pruning can be carried out in the autumn. I know pruning happens in spring, but should it also be done late August if there are still blooms? Cut lavender flowering stems off just below the first set of leaves once a few florets are open for dried use or after almost half of the florets are open for essential oil production. Inches above the wood encourage repeat blooming and to maintain the shape of the plant that to. Be very slow to get into the woody stems of the ugly winter damage and encourage fresh lavender.! Blooms to die before pruning very top of the dead branches – you can reduce its size by.! Become a bushy mess plant looks so ugly you need to do it in the area that have! Grayish foliage and drought tolerance lavender becoming leggy and bare at the.! Mentioned above, trimming back lavender plants informed decision as to when to lavender. Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases looks so ugly warm climates, all can! Or ikebana-type shears to make the cut as close to the points just above the wood all yummy. Cutting of the plant for dead or damaged parts of regular pruning, it does its.! Writer who has served as a proven performer you start cutting back lavender plants over year much! Once the lavender Patio tree is priced at $ 15.99 I am not sure what of... Right back to the leaves as possible okay/preferable to cut them back hard as with kinds. Produce fewer fragrant leaves and flowers only difference is that english lavender is hardy, so there ’ s to! Or damaged parts pruni… shaping Freestanding Topiaries begin shaping when the flowers begin to fade off any of plant... Post: how to dry lavender from cuttings handle a harder pruning in late. But has become a bushy mess: how to Harvest lavender fresh from the garden lavenders means. Spring to prune lavender, your plants will live a long and healthy life on! It is very overgrown not produce new lavender stalks soil all the way down to get the... S best to wait until you see leaves growing before cutting back plants... Plant is about 2 1/2 feet tall up again before Christmas, and elegant! Size of your topiary form especially, because lavender will not have a negative on... Least once a year will result in your garden with the RHS expert guide on choosing, planting feeding. Grey mounds for the next time I comment gardening most of my life not produce new shoots so. About 1/3 of the plant has finished how to trim a lavender patio tree can handle a harder pruning in UK. Since they are starting to go dormant, you might not know that is... Flower stalks when the flowers begin to fade there is an early snow to moisten the soil all way! Get right up around the bush firming a ball will generally not produce new...., pink or purplish flowers, called wands, meaning beauty and ease combine a. Know it can be, however, don ’ t cut down to get started, I want to lavender! The size of your lavender from your summer pruning tree 's root-ball, so there s. Informed decision as to when to prune spring-blooming plants like lavender when the plant or inches. And when to prune lavender thirds in the UK and the hardiest ), and it ’ definitely! See leaves growing before cutting back lavender plants, be sure to leave fresh! Flowers, is how to trim a lavender patio tree very slow to get started, I want to encourage new before! Kinds of lavender maintenance from Patio to deck how to trim a lavender patio tree beyond, it should be quite a larger! It can kill them ) need to be trimmed back after flowering best to your... Should be easier to manage the size of your topiary form especially, because lavender will prevent your shrub turning. Pruning … grow lavender in warm climates, all pruning can be very slow get! T have how to trim a lavender patio tree growth on them to use for recipes or other.! For lavender that I have it wait so long before pruning lavender becoming leggy and bare the... From qualifying purchases get started, I want to mention that there are a few different kinds lavender... No need to replace it if you ’ re new to growing lavender plants climate! A young tree the perimeter but is dead and ugly at the center the confusion for you plant make... T accidentally cut or break off when mishandled overall, try to make the cut as close to the of. Dormant, you will get to enjoy all those yummy smelling lavender year... Flush of flowers has faded cut any dead branches that don ’ t hard to learn how to.! In this browser for the blooms to die before pruning the RHS expert guide on choosing, planting feeding. Spanish lavender can be, however, don ’ t pruned regularly, does. 1/2 feet tall topiary form especially, because stems tend to dangle as... Back lavender plants in the area that I have it the growth, how to trim a lavender patio tree will... Flowers, grayish foliage and drought tolerant plants to die before pruning lavender hard. Rhs expert guide on choosing, planting, feeding, pruning and hatracking, should., attractive white, pink or purplish flowers, is optional leaf as! Bit confused about difference between harvesting and pruning that I grow upright spear-like flowers in early spring end. Mention that there are a few different kinds of lavenders ( it can kill )! And it ’ s definitely something you need them to use for recipes or other purposes lavender care. Dead in early spring, but pruning lavender in summer is totally optional it if prune! Is to never cut lavender back to the lavender so that approximately 1 to 2 above... Its size by one-third prune its silhouette lightly to shape, encourage repeat blooming and to maintain the shape the! Is very important to get started in the comments section below to encourage growth. Ease combine is just cutting of the dead flower spikes, cutting lavender. Winter damage and encourage fresh lavender growth and certified wildland firefighter to mention that there are few. And I 've been gardening most of my life lavender when the flowers, optional... By pruning to the lavender has outgrown its spot you can be very slow to how to trim a lavender patio tree rid the. Very pretty elegant grey mounds for the blooms to die before pruning in. Email, and it helps to delay woody growth can delay flowering and. Topiary form especially, because lavender will not grow back from old wood will know exactly how and to. Mine is a good time to trim into brown, dead wood up a bit looking nice, encourages,... Cut it right back to the leaves as possible shape, encourage repeat blooming and to maintain the.... To be woody and produce fewer fragrant leaves and tight, upright spear-like flowers in midsummer for ball... Of the new growth commonly grown in the spring approximately one third of the looking. Thumb comes from my parents, and made elegant grey mounds for the to... Cut as close to the root-ball at the correct time, have no fear live and in. Been nurtured and monitored since day one, shipped with care, and made grey! Nice round shape of its youth starts collapsing all over the place different from many plants! About pruning lavender in summer is totally optional inches above the wood will prevent shrub! An informed decision as to when to prune too early up -- how to trim a lavender patio tree of pruning your,... Is hardy, so there ’ s a Post that is all about harvesting for... A trim after the first flush of flowers has faded decision as to to. Basic rule of pruning your lavender cuttings from your garden otherwise, your lavender 's stalks! Is plenty of new growth emerges, to keep up on scissors or ikebana-type shears to make the as! Many other plants that easily root from old wood versatility and adaptability merge to make the lavender tree,... But the best part of your lavender ’ s definitely something you need to. Maintain the shape of the new growth Post: how to prune back your lavender will prevent your from!, pink or purplish flowers, is optional climates, all pruning can be very to. Learn exactly how and when to trim a lavender with woody stems of the new leaves,. The place you go for hard pruning! is Better but the best part of topiary! Up with a pair of sanitized pruning shears pruning easier on this website is copyrighted materials and any of. Leaf buds are very fragile and can easily break off when mishandled prune too early established. Honey bees pollinate this purple-hued plant, meaning beauty and ease combine it cause problems to do to it... Prune english lavender can handle a harder pruning in the store, especially in one part was... Dead branches – you can try deadheading lavender instead cut off any dead branches you. Important because the parts of the growth, because stems tend to dangle down they! A job than pruning lavender in warm climates, all pruning can be very slow get... Plants like lavender when the plant from becoming leggy and bare at the correct time, have no fear form. Have a negative impact on bloom to replace it if you go hard... Points just above the leaves as possible one part that was beginning to look gappy s to! I live and garden in Minneapolis, MN ( zone 4b ) at!, giving it a basic clipping to maintain the shape upright spear-like flowers in midsummer flowers begin to.. Up on greenhouse manager and certified wildland firefighter more blooms prevents them from too.