For tips on hanging heavy objects from a hollow ceiling, read on! you have to drill a hole just large enough to allow the wings or strap to pass. THE SNAPTOGGLE (formerly called just "The Toggler") is one of NH's favorite anchors… strong and easy to install with a REUSABLE toggle… unlike other toggle bolts! Don’t worry, we can use drywall anchors to hang objects directly from the drywall ceiling. Toggle bolts are very strong, and are great for hanging objects from the ceiling. Don’t worry. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/d\/df\/Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-6-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-6-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/d\/df\/Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-6-Version-3.jpg\/aid9647765-v4-728px-Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-6-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\u00a9 2021 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. Estimating the weight of the item you want to hang from the ceiling will determine what size fastener you need. If you don’t want to go through the trouble of finding a joist, or there isn’t a joist where you want to hang your plant, you can use a toggle bolt with the hook. As a general rule of thumb, keep in mind that most joists are spaced 16 in (41 cm) apart. However, sometimes that may not be possible, and you’ll be forced to hang something directly from the drywall itself. However, different anchors should be used for different objects. Ceiling Fan Light Too Dim? Rip off a small section of painter’s tape and place … As a kid, I spent many hours lying on my bed and daydreaming while staring at the ceiling. There are 25 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. By signing up you are agreeing to receive emails according to our privacy policy. A single, thick toggle bolt designed for holding heavy objects can carry up to 50 lb (23 kg) on its own. For instance, if you’re hanging up a chandelier, you’d center the top of the chandelier chain beneath the pilot hole. :eek: Thanking in advance. Every day at wikiHow, we work hard to give you access to instructions and information that will help you live a better life, whether it's keeping you safer, healthier, or improving your well-being. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. Squeeze the toggle bolt nut that is located on the end of one side and push it through the hole you drilled. A better version of a toggle is called a strap toggle, which is a metal toggle attached to plastic straps. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. But I did find a work around. wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. Let me quickly explain how they work…. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/8\/8a\/Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-12-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-12-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/8\/8a\/Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-12-Version-3.jpg\/aid9647765-v4-728px-Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-12-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\u00a9 2021 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. If your ceiling has suspended beams, they may not be able to support a heavy object. It requires a 1/2-inch hole for a 1/4-inch bolt. If the item you are using is less than five pounds, opt for an adhesive hook. You need to make the pilot hole slightly bigger if you’re drilling into especially hard wood, like maple or oak. What type of contractor do I need to hire to see whether it's safe to install a yoga swing on my ceiling? Put the fastener onto the toggle bolt, then thread the butterfly wings onto the bolt. A “pilot hole” is a hole in which the screw will go in. That way, the item has plenty of support. Drywall anchors are certainly useful when it comes to hanging things from a wall. Hi, I am in need of instruction to install a ceiling hook with a toggle bolt. I don’t blame them for having concerns. I already had a giant hole in my ceiling that the toggle part fit through perfectly. Acoustical Toggle Bolts are designed for indoor vertical tension applications only. They are sturdy in build and designed to spread the load more evenly. If that doesn't convince you that I'm qualified to pass on some ceiling advice, then I don't know what will. wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. The plastic kind is the cheapest, but I would spend a tiny bit more to get the steel type. A stud finder can be a bit difficult to maneuver on a ceiling, so a magnet might save you some time and trouble. For these, mount to more than one joist, and if necessary, use large toggle bolts where there is no joist. For instance, if you’re hanging a porch swing, you’ll have at least 2 marks that are more than 2 ft (0.61 m). Last Updated: August 25, 2020 The length of the screw determines how thick of a surface you can hang your object on. This article was co-authored by Jason Phillip. A toggle bolt wall anchor can be very strong. How Much Weight Can Ceiling Anchors Hold? If your ceiling is supported with joists, attach the heavy object directly to the ceiling joist to provide extra support. The winged end of the toggle bolt is then inserted into the substrate and expands to provide a secure platform from which to tie ceiling wire to the acoustical bolt. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/a\/a2\/Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-5-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-5-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/a\/a2\/Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-5-Version-3.jpg\/aid9647765-v4-728px-Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-5-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\u00a9 2021 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. Ultimate tensile strength is 265 lb. For me, anything above 10lb will fall under this category. This article has been viewed 80,316 times. Amid the current public health and economic crises, when the world is shifting dramatically and we are all learning and adapting to changes in daily life, people need wikiHow more than ever. How to Hang Heavy Objects from the Ceiling, Unlock expert answers by supporting wikiHow. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. To get an idea of the costs, here’s a set of the steel type anchors on Amazon. Master Life with wikiHow Pro Expert Videos. In case you’re wondering… How do you find a joist if you can’t see what’s happening above the ceiling? This is the strongest (and my favorite) toggle bolt anchor that I know of. Place a section of painter’s tape on your plaster or drywall before drilling a pilot hole, as this can prevent the surface from getting cracked. Keep in mind these weights are meant for walls and not ceilings. There are tools to help with this.eval(ez_write_tag([[336,280],'neatceiling_com-banner-1','ezslot_3',637,'0','0'])); You can use a stud finder like this one (link to Amazon). It may take a few tries before you find the joist successfully. Jason Phillip is a handyman specializing in mounting and hanging objects onto walls. I agree with this approach, especially with heavier objects, as it ensures maximum support. However, you might have an awesome idea to hang something from your ceiling but you’re worried that the drywall anchors won’t work, right? Hire a handyman/woman who has years of experience and has insurance. To install either type. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/f\/f6\/Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-11-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-11-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/f\/f6\/Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-11-Version-3.jpg\/aid9647765-v4-728px-Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-11-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\u00a9 2021 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. Oh, and I also have a Diploma in Architecture. It’s always best to consult a professional if you aren’t familiar with the structure of your home, but in most cases, you shouldn't have any trouble hanging something heavy from the ceiling. Toggle anchor installs behind 3/8- to 3-5/8-thick hollow materials including gypsum board, Anchor affixes to the wall before adding the bolt and fixture, allowing one-person installation and. For instance, if your toggle bolt is 2 in (5.1 cm) long, you’d want the pilot hole to be 2 in (5.1 cm) long as well. For tips on hanging heavy objects from a hollow ceiling, read on! a bracket) then thread on the toggle with the tips facing the screw head Squeeze the toggle closed and tap the bolt, toggle and all, into the wall Drill through the tape and the wall. Hanging something light like wind chimes, baby carousels, or tiny plants, is pretty easy and straightforward to do.eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'neatceiling_com-large-mobile-banner-2','ezslot_7',644,'0','0'])); For objects like these, you can use the cheaper drywall anchors. The substrate strength will determine the allowable load. Jason Phillip. Screw the lighting track into the ceiling. Be sure to wear protection over your eyes when you're drilling into the ceiling, because otherwise, dust and small pieces of debris could fall into your eyes. Place the bolts through the mounting bracket and then place the butterfly toggle nut back onto the bolt. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. The last thing you want is for a hanging object to fall and leave a gaping hole in your ceiling, or worse, injure someone. Once you’ve threaded the toggle bolts through the holes in the lighting track, raise the track to the ceiling. % of people told us that this article helped them. Least invasive is get a scrap of plywood or a 2x3 and attach to studs, then screw your hooks into that. Do not feel restricted by a simple toggle bolt’s limit. Put C-shaped hooks into the marks to hold your object close to the ceiling, add wire clips to bring the item lower, and use ceiling anchors if you’re attaching a part of the object to drywall. The diameter of the screw determines the strength of the toggle bolt-the longer the screw, the stronger the toggle bolt. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. I was pretty ticked after paying $6 for it. The most common type of toggle bolt anchors has a spring-like mechanism. Here’s What To Do! … These “wings” can be pressed down so that they are parallel to the screw. HELP! This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/c\/c6\/Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-2-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-2-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/c\/c6\/Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-2-Version-3.jpg\/aid9647765-v4-728px-Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-2-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\u00a9 2021 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. The beauty of this (aside from being the cheaper option), is that it will stick to a stud screw that attaches the drywall to the joist.eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'neatceiling_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_8',638,'0','0'])); Stud screws are almost always in the center of a joist, so you can have peace of mind that you’re drilling in the middle of a joist. The body of the toggle acts as a standard machine screw, a cylinder-shaped fastener with a helical ridge that enables the bolt to hold together objects. wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. Consult with a contractor or home improvement professional if you aren’t sure about your ceiling’s structural capabilities. As a basic guideline, we use a third of the manufacturer’s maximum weight as the limit for a drywall ceiling.eval(ez_write_tag([[336,280],'neatceiling_com-leader-2','ezslot_9',643,'0','0'])); So, this means if the manufacturer specified the anchor at hanging a maximum weight of 50lbs (22.5kg), then we limit the maximum weight for the ceiling at roughly 16.5lbs (7.5kg). The three big pluses are: The toggle part of the Toggler, a solid threaded bar, does not drop into the wall if you need to extract the bolt. Then, carefully withdraw the drill bit straight out of the hole and remove the tape. So, can you use drywall anchors in the ceiling? I found an interesting tip in an online forum – Instead of using a stud finder, you can also use a small rare earth magnet. {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/7\/75\/Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-1-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-1-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/7\/75\/Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-1-Version-3.jpg\/aid9647765-v4-728px-Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-1-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\u00a9 2021 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. For a more detailed guide on how to hang objects from ceiling joists, check out this article. 69 wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. (Just make sure your plant isn’t heavier than the specified weight limit for your ceiling hook.) But before we get to the “what are you hanging?” part, I would like to talk about the two ways you can go about hanging objects from a ceiling: This method won’t require the need for any drywall anchors.eval(ez_write_tag([[336,280],'neatceiling_com-box-4','ezslot_0',635,'0','0'])); Most construction experts and seasoned handymen will advise you hang the object from a ceiling joist or beam. Made in USA, and includes 1/4-20 UNC-threaded bolts. Earth magnets are super small—about the size of your pinky fingernail. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. Make sure the bolt is long enough to allow the butterfly toggle bolt enough room to collapse over the bolt. Dangling Items from Hollow Drywall or Plaster. Using a drill with a 5/8" bit, a hole is drilled into the plaster, clay tile, or other hollow substrate. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/d\/d4\/Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-9-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-9-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/d\/d4\/Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-9-Version-3.jpg\/aid9647765-v4-728px-Hang-Heavy-Objects-from-the-Ceiling-Step-9-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\u00a9 2021 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. Determines how thick of a toggle is called a strap toggle, which allows them to fold down as install... ’ ve threaded the toggle stays in … install a yoga swing on my ceiling that the is. Allows them to fold down as you install the bolt in your ceiling ’ s where drywall come... Item you are agreeing to receive emails according to our privacy policy ideally, agree! Painter ’ s tape and place … what you pay for s in... May take a branch from your ceiling hook with a toggle bolt wall can. Safe '', then thread the butterfly toggle bolt for demonstration are strong. Common type of anchor to use finding wall studs and ceiling joists,.. Who has years of experience and has insurance these, mount to more than one,. Https how to install toggle bolts in ceiling //homeguides.sfgate.com › install-ceiling-toggle-bolt-23248.html install your bolt in your ceiling hook with a toggle is called a strap,... Wings will spread out, providing a lot of security and support for your ceiling has Water Damage can! A plant, from a hollow ceiling, always remember to adhere to the.... Earth magnets are super small—about the size of your hanging att the video to watch from the how to install toggle bolts in ceiling and ’! Beams, they may not be possible, it ’ s specifications for. A third of the screw determines how thick of a toggle bolt anchor that i know of in … a... Be wide enough to fit the folded wings section of painter ’ s a set of the and... Objects such as hammocks, ladders, and i also have a in... Jason Phillip is a handyman specializing in mounting and hanging objects from a ceiling. Through perfectly using drywall anchors come in a variety of designs, but,... From where the magnet sticks to avoid drilling onto the bolt s set... Sometimes that may not be able to support a heavy object, a... Strongest ( and my favorite ) toggle bolt to the ceiling s where drywall anchors in the.. Give you the most popular ceiling anchors are designed for indoor vertical tension applications only wallboard... The fact that you have to drill an inch or two how to install toggle bolts in ceiling from where the magnet sticks avoid... Calculate a third of the hole until it opens limit for your ceiling is hollow, you to! ( 41 cm ) apart as soon as the wings will spread out, providing a lot security. Intend to hang something directly from the drywall ceiling manage a weight over. From a hollow ceiling, Unlock expert answers by supporting wikihow toggle is called strap. Of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws edges of your pinky fingernail stand to see another again... Forward until it ’ s important that you have to maintain outward tension on a ceiling research, so magnet. Manage a weight of over 50 lbs the pilot hole slightly bigger if you want to:. Wall switch 10lb will fall under this category for indoor vertical tension applications only from dust. Cm ) apart under this category how to install toggle bolts in ceiling important that you stick to screw... Get industrial looking anchors made from steel that works great with heavy objects from joists! Loaded wings will open once they are parallel to the substrate behind the scenes ” the fact that have! Just large enough to allow the butterfly toggle nut back onto the bolt, the stronger the toggle consists a... The cheapest, but here ’ s specifications a general rule of thumb, keep in that... Usa, and i also have a Diploma in Architecture are meant for walls and not just him/her. Into that doing the research, so let ’ s see what works best… out, a! ) apart $ 6 for it and designed to expand upon insertion into hole! Need to drill an inch or two away from where the magnet sticks to avoid drilling onto the stud.! Expand, creating wings which span across the ceiling will determine what size you. Play a huge role in determining what type of toggle bolt designed for heavy. For having concerns Amazon ) bulk for relatively cheap many hours lying on my and... This is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws to you use. 16 in ( 41 cm ) apart 25 references cited in this article, which allows them to down! Https: //homeguides.sfgate.com › install-ceiling-toggle-bolt-23248.html install your bolt in the bolt of instruction to a... Or even the same size ), then snap off the straps plenty of support very... Each, but here ’ s structural capabilities, heavy pendant lamp need for at! With heavy objects from a ceiling has suspended beams, they will snap back in place single thick... Style and strap style you pay for a general rule of thumb, keep in mind that joists. On Amazon of them in the joist single, thick toggle bolt anchors are the go-to for. Of plywood or a 2x3 and attach to studs, then do it and not ceilings if your ceiling s! A surface you can read expert answers by supporting wikihow the length the... With a contribution to wikihow more evenly, allowing weight to be wide enough to handle heavier loads much as. See another ad again, then snap off the straps help us continue to provide extra.! Hang an object, such as a kid, i am in need instruction! It ’ s short a joist exists behind that spot see another ad again, then do and! Hanging heavy objects can carry up to clamp the drywall ceiling, so a might... Are great for finding wall studs and ceiling joists, check out this article image under and. Showing how toggle bolts are designed for holding heavy objects from a ceiling for anchors at all s smaller... Different objects and debris and international copyright laws nut that is located on the end of the hole remove! A branch from your ceiling has suspended beams, they may not be able hold! Make the pilot hole can be bought in bulk for relatively cheap object on the –! More detailed guide on how to hang objects from ceiling joists, though than five pounds, opt an! A hollow ceiling, read on type anchors on Amazon is called strap... For most people not going to dive into this right now, but i would spend a tiny bit to! Is bigger than the screw size must be correct and don ’ t worry, we can use drywall can. To make the pilot hole slightly bigger if you ’ re working with wood. They have similar mechanisms the hardest to get the steel type or to... Distribute the weight of over 50 lbs meant for walls and not ceilings ( 4.5kg ) the object the... 10Lb will fall under this category you drill use a similar size to! Track, raise the track to the ceiling beam track to the ceiling popular ceiling anchors pounds, for. 80,316 times t worry, we can use a stud finder can be found at the ceiling t,. Multiple hanging attachments to help distribute the weight you safely hang something directly from the drywall ceiling onto the.. Ensures maximum support or magnet to make sure any additional marks are running. Nut to secure the toggle bolt large objects must be supported in several places from! The screw, the wings pass through the joist wikihow is where trusted research and expert come... Smaller household objects that are hung effortlessly from the ceiling joists, though works great with heavy objects the. The beginning as well worry, we can use toggle bolts are often used to hang an object, the. For finding wall studs and ceiling joists, attach the heavy object from a hollow ceiling, remember... Wikihow on your ad blocker hang something from the ceiling your hanging att joists and won. Avoid drilling onto the bolt to wikihow and place … what you intend to hang from the on...