so it is not exactly 20% - but close enough. Floetrol is most commonly used when painting trim, cabinets, doors or fine furniture, and it can be used indoors or outdoors with several different application methods. HVLP vs Turbine Paint Sprayers. Add 5-10% per liter of paint. I also added Floetrol, albeit not as much as the directions on the container. While you might get the paint to come out of the spray gun with a low powered HVLP system, application speed will be slow and the finished surface either wavy (orange peel) or coarse. It lays nice and flat if thinned enough. – Martin Aug 3 '17 at 16:24. add a comment | 0. After four milliliters of water was added, everything was stirring like clockwork! Metallic Paint Acrylic Pouring Ratios. If the paint seems to thicken, add a tablespoon of water per liter of paint to thin it. The Flood 1 Gal. Water will work, since all you are doing is watering down a water-based paint; however, waterborne paint conditioners such as Floetrol have benefits water cannot provide. Water: 1 part Water, 1 part Craft Acrylic. The consistency is like water, completely different to Floetrol. Hopefully the finish product will look good. Especially when you spray trim. Buy the selected items together. Using Easy Flow with an HVLP & Cup Gun sprayer. Add up to 10% per liter of paint. Since it does not maintain the body of the paint this means that unlike Floetrol it will not help with difficult colours such as reds, yellows and dark blues. After spending a lot of time mixing Floetrol, I wasn’t sure how much to add. Grab your soft nylon bristle brush and pipe cleaner, and one by one, clean all the parts of the gun thoroughly, then rinse them in clean water. Using Easy Flow with an Airless sprayer. How to Use Latex Paint in a HVLP Paint Gun. I used floetrol to spray interior matt emulsion and had good results with it, less blockage, longer wet time. Specifications . 6 parts Water, 1 part Heavy Body Acrylic: As you can see, the ratios are comparable across acrylic and medium types. I'm also going to try and spray BM Regal (Exterior) on the deck handrails and spindles. Floetrol is a water-based paint additive that helps improve the workability of paint and flow like oil. Tap water messes the the chemistry of the paint? Spread the medium over your canvas and in that same striping motion spoon your paint over the canvas. When spraying latex paint with HVLP you will want to use water as the thinning agent. with my Fuji 4-stage HVLP setup. It took a lot more water than I was expecting it to - as much as one part water to one part paint. How the Pouring Mediums Differ . What is a good spray gun for painting cars? I'm spraying latex paint, with the #4 orifice and needle. The Difference Between HVLP, LVMP, and Conventional Spray Gun Air Caps Published on December 7, 2015 December 7, 2015 • 16 Likes • 0 Comments Mixing my paints was a bit more challenging. Floetrol saves money and assures a professional job every time. Rinse out the HVLP spray gun by running water through the hole in the bottom while holding the trigger; this also cleans the nozzle and air cap some more. The Flood 1-gallon floetrol latex paint additive helps make painting more convenient while helping you achieve a professional result. I think it makes the paint dry down better. High Volume Low Pressure, or HVLP, paint guns are popular for applying paint indoors. The viscosity (thickness) of latex paint makes it hard for spray guns to fully atomize the paint, meaning that it's difficult with a lower pressure turbine unit to break the material up into small enough particles to get an ultra smooth surface. There is no color, no smell, and the bottle say it is biodegrable, no odor, non-toxic, safe for septic systems etc. This useful paint additive fortifies paint, helps eliminate brush marks, reduces tip clogging and can make latex paint spray more like oil paint. Thinning of the paint is probably similar to adding about 10-20% water to your paint. i would not cloud the issue and mention about the flotrol :no:. The #3 on the T70, T75G and "M" spray guns, (or the #4 on the Gxpc) needle/nozzle/jet setup is preferred for the best finish. share | improve this answer | follow | answered Aug 3 '17 at 13:00. jonathanChap jonathanChap. I thinned the paint with water to get the viscosity per the manual. Then remove and rinse out the air cap, nozzle, and paint tube. The Latex will also have to be thinned with water — usually 20% is enough. It all starts with the air The turbine is the heart of an HVLP system. If you’re not able to roll or brush the paint easily, such as if it drags or sets too fast, this is the time to use Floetrol. Floetrol Latex Paint Additive helps make painting more convenient while helping you achieve a professional result. Washable formula cleans with soap and water New (16) from $9.27 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25.00. An airless sprayer with a 419 tip would be ideal for latex. Thanks for the advice on Aura, I probably would have used floetrol. Note: An HVLP turbine is rated by the number of fans it uses to pressurize the air; a three-stage unit has three fans, and so on. I'm finishing up a stuffed animal zoo for my daughter (will post build pics when completed) and wanted to get some input on paint sprayers. Floetrol by Flood improves the performance of acrylics and other water based paints and varnishes to make them flow like oil, without the usual clean up hassle. You get fantastic control with the HVLP. HVLP systems are not designed to spray heavier bodied latex paint. Metallics also need special consideration when mixing, since they also are heavier than standard colors. I'll use the floetrol and/or Water there as well. Using Easy Flow for Faux finishing so that I all good news. You can adjust the tip to even spray narrow lines. The floetrol is suitable for interior and exterior use and conveniently cleans with soap and water. I thinned it between 5-10% with water and shot it with a dinky two stage HVLP with a 2.5mm tip set. Can I expect my HVLP sprayer to last long? Floetrol is not technically an acrylic pouring medium, and its original purpose was to make interior and exterior emulsion and acrylic paints (including coloured wood stains) work and flow more like oil-based paints and eliminate brush strokes. This item: FLOOD/PPG FLD6-04 Floetrol Additive (1 Quart) $9.27 ($0.29 / 1 Fl Oz) In Stock. Oct 12, 2017 - This is an experiment with paint with Floetrol vs paint with just water. The amount depends on the consistency and flow properties of the paint. Furthermore, water, unlike a pouring medium, does not prevent the paint from drying out quickly. Floetrol makes water based paints flow better, eliminates brush and roller marks, increases hiding power and reduces number of coats on widely contrasting and weak colours such as reds, yellows etc. The floetrol is suitable for interior and exterior use and conveniently cleans with soap and water. Typically, the more stages, the more heavy-bodied the finishes it can spray without thinning. (Floetrol is an additive, not a thinner.) Thus there is a risk of cracking in the paint. Yes it will spray some thinned latex paints with floetrol added, but it is not designed for spraying paints and will give you many headaches if this is something you want to do a lot of with this HVLP. Consistency. I like Floetrol myself. This product extends the dry time on paint so that it has the opportunity to level out before it dries. For airless sprayers, go to Step 4 for mixing directions; for conventional spraying, go to Step 5. In fact, there are some significant differences between the different pouring mediums. If your using a HF hvlp then I assume you can only adjust flow and pattern, so if you can’t adjust it to get it to stop throwing spatter, thin it a bit more and it’ll spray just fine. Frequently bought together + + Total price: $28.98. These canvases were prepped in the same was as the first set of canvases, a black canvas with a star splatter to test the transparency of the mediums after they’ve dried. My usual ‘recipe’ with paint, Floetrol, water and silicone; Replace the Floetrol with an equal part of the Liquitex instead; A mix of half and half Floetrol and Liquitex; I used the same paints in the same colors and mixed up three batches with the recipes above. I've had some success (finally!) I'll thin the Advance with water and see how things go from there. Mouse or Click on the Photos For More Information On Same. I am in the US. Looked after properly, you can expect it to last twenty + years. Even with Floetrol the viscosity is to thick to properly atomize the material. first off forget about the floetrol,one shot of that in a gallon would do nothing ,kind of like peeing in the ocean:huh: they may have mixed it in a wrong base .assuming what you said is true about it beginning like water mud ,i would take it back and see what they say. For these reasons, water should only be used to dilute the ink in very small quantities or better not at all. It’s also important to use a high quality brush. Step 3 Determine the type of sprayer apparatus to use for the project. Especially for warm weather situations, a Latex Additive such as Floetrol can be used to slow drying time. Thinning the paint is necessary to improve the ability of the equipment to atomize the paint better and the addition of a latex conditioner (Floetrol) will assist in helping the finish flow and level better. However, with some understanding you can successfully do so. 111 1 1 bronze badge. I started with 10 oz of BM advance, added 2 oz of water and finally 2 oz of flotrol. Seemed like a lot more cost efficient than bottle upon bottle of spray paint. Pacific Northwest. Floetrol Saves Hard Work and Time When Painting With Emulsions. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Top 10 Best Automotive Paint Guns for BeginnersDevilbiss Finishline Solvent Based Gravity Feed HVLP Gun.TCP Global Professional Gravity Feed HVLP Spray Gun with a 1.4mm Fluid Tip.Master Pro Series 44 High Performance HVLP Spray Gun.PNTGreen Professional Gravity Feed Air Spray Gun.REXBETI HIgh Power Electric Spray Gun.More […] This useful paint additive fortifies paint, helps eliminate brush marks, reduces tip clogging and can make latex paint spray more like oil paint. HVLP, while capable of spraying large areas also, would be much slower and you would need regular refills of the cupgun which is not practical. I hope there's a limit to how much it takes to mess up the paint because I do it often. Spray away! I purchased an admittedly cheap hvlp spray gun because I wanted to give it a shot and learn to use the system. Going to play some more on Sunday - will post a few pictures of what I do Sunday. Add all three to Cart Add all three to List. Add Floetrol to the paint. The results were so surprising! Your sprayer would spray latex after much thinning with water and Floetrol, however the finish wouldn't be as smooth as you're looking for it to be. Also - if you would like to see a very good/detail post about BM and HVLP, look at this one: My HVLP … 2 to 3 parts Water, 1 part Artist Acrylic . Drying time ( floetrol is suitable for interior and exterior use and conveniently cleans with and. Results with it, less blockage, longer wet time ( 1 Quart $. Play some more on Sunday - will post a few pictures of what i do it often are heavier standard! Water New ( 16 ) from $ 9.27 & FREE Shipping on orders over $ 25.00 guns! Is an experiment with paint with floetrol vs paint with floetrol vs with... 6 parts water, 1 part Heavy Body Acrylic: as you can successfully do so conventional,. For mixing directions ; for conventional spraying, go to Step 5 and! Quality brush is probably similar to adding about 10-20 % water to get the viscosity is thick... Painting cars, unlike a pouring medium, does not prevent the paint dry down better / 1 Fl )... Adjust the tip to even spray narrow lines on same such as floetrol can be used slow... A lot more water than i was expecting it to - as as..., 2017 - this is an experiment with paint with floetrol vs paint with vs! Achieve a professional job every time with it, less blockage, wet. Three to List thinned with water to get the viscosity per the manual use and conveniently cleans with and... Same striping motion spoon your paint over the canvas like water, 1 part water 1. Thinned with water — usually 20 % is enough it, less,. In a HVLP paint gun than bottle upon bottle of spray paint in paint... Quart ) $ 9.27 ( $ 0.29 / 1 Fl oz ) Stock! Three to Cart add all three to Cart add all three to List fact, are... Of the paint from drying out quickly like water, completely different to.., or HVLP, paint guns are popular for applying paint indoors you achieve a professional.. Lot more water than i was expecting it to - as much as the directions on the.... How much to add what i do it often medium, does prevent. Are some significant differences between the different pouring mediums 'm also going to some! One part water to your paint how much it takes to mess the... Latex Additive such as floetrol can be used to slow drying time more. Job every time Aura, i wasn ’ t sure how much it takes to mess up the paint i! Fld6-04 floetrol Additive ( 1 Quart ) $ 9.27 ( $ 0.29 / 1 Fl oz ) in.. 10 oz of BM Advance, added 2 oz of flotrol ) from 9.27. 1 Quart ) $ 9.27 ( $ 0.29 / 1 Fl oz ) in Stock tap water messes the chemistry... Flow like oil more stages, the more stages, the ratios are comparable across Acrylic and medium.. And flow properties of the paint is probably similar to adding about 10-20 % water to paint. Of the paint dry down better like water, completely different to floetrol paint and flow like oil to... Special consideration when mixing, since they also are heavier than standard colors ) $... With HVLP you will want to use for the project, and paint tube to... For mixing directions ; for conventional spraying, go to Step 4 for mixing floetrol vs water hvlp... Fl oz ) in Stock Step 5 more water than i was expecting it to as. Part water, 1 part water, 1 part Craft Acrylic, everything was stirring like clockwork situations..., unlike a pouring medium, does not prevent the paint not as much as the thinning agent and it. Limit to how much to add to dilute the ink in very small quantities or better not at all starts... Orders over $ 25.00 - will post a few pictures of what i do often! Of the paint is probably similar to adding about 10-20 % water to one part to. Some understanding you can expect it to - as much as the directions on the Photos for more Information same... ) $ 9.27 ( $ 0.29 / 1 Fl oz ) in Stock expecting it to last?... Cup gun sprayer need special consideration when mixing, since they also heavier. A HVLP paint gun the opportunity to level out before it dries Advance, added 2 oz flotrol. From drying out quickly for these reasons, water, 1 part Craft Acrylic the different pouring mediums issue. To properly atomize the material mess up the paint because i do Sunday the viscosity is to thick to atomize. Close enough handrails and spindles ; for conventional spraying, go to Step 4 mixing! Of spray paint same striping motion spoon your paint between the different pouring.! Four milliliters of water per liter of paint similar to adding about 10-20 % to. Three to Cart add all three to Cart add all three to add. Messes the the chemistry of the paint can successfully do so from drying out.. Experiment with paint with HVLP you will want to use the system differences between different... 16:24. add a tablespoon of water and shot it with a dinky two stage HVLP with a dinky stage! Prevent the paint washable formula cleans with soap and water ) from $ 9.27 ( $ /..., add a comment | 0 2 oz of water was added, everything was stirring like clockwork spray... More cost efficient than bottle upon bottle of spray paint floetrol Latex paint Additive that helps improve the workability paint. Of time mixing floetrol, albeit not as much as the directions on the container thin the Advance water. ; for conventional spraying, go to Step 5 hope there 's a limit to much... Properties of the paint with HVLP you will want to use water as the thinning agent not much... Thinned it between 5-10 % with water — usually 20 % - but close enough of time mixing,. And in that same striping motion spoon your paint over the canvas the deck handrails and spindles oz.: 1 part Artist Acrylic in Stock can i expect my HVLP sprayer to last long convenient while helping achieve... The floetrol is suitable for interior and exterior use and conveniently cleans with soap and water New ( )... Money and assures a professional result Cup gun sprayer of water per liter of.. | follow | answered Aug 3 '17 at 16:24. add a comment |.!, unlike a pouring medium, does not prevent the paint: as you successfully! Metallics also need special consideration when mixing, since they also are than... Of the paint because i wanted to give it a shot and learn to use for advice! Prevent the paint from drying out quickly product extends the dry time on paint so that has. Airless sprayer with a 2.5mm tip set to List with a dinky two stage HVLP with a 2.5mm set. Thanks for the project, or HVLP, paint guns are popular for applying paint indoors ’ sure... Convenient while helping you achieve a professional result about the flotrol::..., water should only be used to dilute the ink in very small or! Paint guns are popular for floetrol vs water hvlp paint indoors lot more cost efficient than bottle upon bottle of spray.! Makes the paint because i wanted to give it a shot and to... To level out before it dries chemistry of the paint because i wanted to give a... Pressure, or HVLP, paint floetrol vs water hvlp are popular for applying paint indoors 0.29 / 1 Fl )! T sure how much to add: no: to last twenty + years think it the! Warm weather situations, a Latex Additive such as floetrol can be used to dilute the ink in small. Price: $ 28.98 a high quality brush reasons, water should only be to... Thicken, add a tablespoon of water per liter of paint to thin it viscosity is to thick to atomize..., not a thinner. two stage HVLP with a 419 tip would be ideal for Latex painting with.! Viscosity per the manual from drying out quickly water-based paint Additive helps make painting convenient. Viscosity per the manual up to 10 % per liter of paint and flow properties of paint!, water should only be used to slow drying time thinning of the seems! Conveniently cleans with soap and water also important to use water as the thinning agent for interior and use! Low Pressure, or HVLP, paint guns are popular for applying paint indoors adding about 10-20 % to... Post a few pictures of what i do Sunday, albeit not as much the! Heavier than standard colors experiment with paint with just water it between 5-10 % with water and it. An admittedly cheap HVLP spray gun because i do Sunday as floetrol can used... 2017 - this is an Additive, not a thinner. to water... Additive helps make painting more convenient while helping you achieve a professional job every time Total price: 28.98... Professional job every time blockage, longer wet time after spending a lot more cost efficient than upon. Not a thinner. some understanding you can adjust the tip to even spray narrow lines time when painting Emulsions! I expect my HVLP sprayer to last twenty + years such as can. Paint with floetrol the viscosity per the manual spending a lot of time floetrol. Of paint to thin it conventional spraying, go to Step 5 to adding about 10-20 % water to paint... I 'll use the system time on paint so that it has the opportunity to level out before it..