Material: 47.5 percent cotton, 47.5 percent modal, 5 percent spandex, Colors and patterns: 20 colors, 19 patterns. They can be had for $8 a pair at Costco when they’re in stock. For this guide we focused on boxer briefs because, according to the experts we interviewed, they’re the most popular modern style of men’s underwear. Wirecutter staffers share their favorite lounge pants, sweatshirts, and slippers to wear while working from home. These soft, well-made, and nicely tailored boxers look and feel as good as pairs that cost two or three times as much. It’s a versatile thickness, too, sturdy and durable but also breathable. Calvin Klein Cotton Classic Fit Boxer Brief: Although the design includes a two-way fly, which is an interesting feature, our testers complained about this underwear’s small size, rougher material, and tendency to chafe. If you want to spend less than $5 a pair, the Kirkland Signature Men’s Boxer Brief 4-pack is the softest and best-tailored offering we could find in that price range. Every campsite usually has a flag pole. “They definitely combat odor.”. What is the … You will know What is the best Exofficio Vs Duluth on the market? The Armachillo Cooling Boxer Briefs are a good example. Participant. Can those who prefer them explain why? Life is funny, isn't it? . Why it’s great: The Saxx Undercover stands out from other boxer briefs because of its cotton-blend fabric and unique cup design, which allow it to feel more comfortable and supportive than many other pairs we tested while also wicking moisture and lending a flattering silhouette. Be prepared for your next travel adventure or trip. This pair also lacks a fly, so if that’s a priority you may prefer our recommendations from Mack Weldon or Kirkland Signature. The internal pouch design consists of two panels of nylon-mesh fabric, shaped like the jib of a sailboat, that follow the internal seam of the underwear cup and separate the edge of your thighs from the rest of your anatomy. The lack of extra paneling also means the Gap boxers don’t offer any kind of venting—a piece of mesh or piqué cotton fabric that helps heat escape your body—like our pick from Mack Weldon does. They come with a fly and are available in a wider range of colors and traditional patterns than most other underwear brands we tested. Easy care, dries very quickly, great in hot or cold environments, breathes, and stink factor far less than plastic (although not cat tested). Personally, I’ve worked for Wirecutter for six years in various capacities—comparing, testing, and writing about everything from backpacks to cooking equipment. “This underwear makes me wanna waste money on a hotel room and fancy booze to seduce my already-wife and spoil her right,” added another. However, the ExOfficio boxer briefs stand apart from other travel-specific underwear because of their silkiness.They feel particularly light and smooth against your skin and clothes, which reduces friction and chafing compared with the feel of cotton, especially while you’re moving around. Not too soft, but not stiff. The Duluth Trading Company specializes in serious work-wear with un-serious names. The organic aspect may intrigue some people, though these boxers come in only a shorter European cut. Underwear can change from good to terrible in several hours if the elasticity in these areas stretches out. During that endurance test he found that—despite some early signs of pilling, especially between the thighs—the nylon-mesh fabric was nearly indestructible. The Kirkland boxer briefs also come in more sizes than any other brand we recommend; they’re available for waist sizes from 28 to 50 inches. Throughout the day they rode up, bunched oddly, and made for a deeply uncomfortable experience all in all. Bearcat89. I can just hear it, "No....NO sir, please, please, please do NOT send them back to us!! The briefs at first feel quite snug, but the material is very stretchy and would likely accommodate a variety of, um, sizes. Although we don’t think the fabric will last long, we’re going to continue testing this pair. Trash your cotton sock while you're at it. Thin — I love that the boxer briefs are lightweight, comfy, stretchy, and breathable, but I am a little concerned with durability since they are so thin (thinnest on this list).I can see them breaking down quicker than underwear from other brands. Also, be aware that these … These are the basic wardrobe elements—tee, pants, shorts, jacket, socks, and underwear—that keep our traveler comfortable regardless of his destination. On our first "packing-light" trip abroad last year, I took briefs in a polyster/spandex blend. Ultimately, you may not notice these cut and shape considerations—that is, until you try a pair of underwear that does have extra tailoring. Bio-hazard alert in Processing Center 2!!! The waistband also has a reassuring heft, though after several years of testing, we know it’s not immune from folding over on itself. ExOfficio treats its fabrics with an antibacterial finish designed to reduce odor. The stuff isn't cheap. I don't want to know how you tested this . Material: 96 percent cotton, 4 percent spandex, Sizes: S to XXXL, fits a 28-inch to 50-inch waist. For several weeks, they tried on all the pairs, wore each one around for a day, and rated each model for softness, comfort, and enjoyment. Wirecutter is reader-supported. Best for: People who want to save some cash without sacrificing (much) in the way of quality or design. I've seen comments on this forum that lightweight merino wool socks are great on the feet and may also dry fairly quickly. Sorry if I sound like a commercial here, but I can't recommend these enough for guys who want to travel a bit lighter and comfier. Or worse yet, some customer who just sends them back under the guarantee, and some poor unsuspecting worker opens the package......oh, no!!! Michael Kleinmann, CEO of The Underwear Expert, phone interview, April 16, 2018, Nick Graham, founder of Joe Boxer and current CEO of the Nick Graham men’s clothing line, phone interview, April 20, 2018, Bob Mazzoli, former chief creative officer of Calvin Klein, phone interview, April 16, 2018. Oh, that poor cat!!! I've seen many recommendations for ExOfficio underwear for men and was considering them. Duluth & ExO's are boxer , F & T are boxer briefs Duluth Buck Naked -normal price is $22.50 but can be bought during their sales. It’s not necessarily a vital inclusion, but given the thicker fabric, the lack of venting may mean you’re more likely to overheat. The quality of the materials and construction is evident from the moment you pick this pair up. Why it’s great: The ExOfficio Men’s Give-N-Go Sport Mesh 6″ Boxer Brief is designed for travel, but its balance of fit, comfort, and light weight—not to mention its odor reduction—means it could be the pair you reach for every day, whether you’re traveling or not. You put them on, and you feel rich,” one tester said. They keep things front and center. We asked 26 cool guys — stylists, athletes and creative professionals — about their favorite underwear. If you do try them and are unsatisfied, MeUndies will accept a full refund on any purchase within 90 days, as long as the items are not worn (though “tried on” is ok). Two of the merino wool boxer briefs used "core-spun" wool, meaning the wool fibers are wrapped around a thread of nylon fabric to get the best of both worlds. Among the softest we’ve found—they feel like a favorite T-shirt—these boxer briefs may lack some of the more detailed features or high-end construction of our other picks, but they’re … In colder weather, slide into ia lightweight merino wool t-shirt. Explore here. Unlike some of our other picks, they have no logos or loud designs to announce what you’re wearing. Michael: No, I haven't tackled that yet. Years ago, when faced with this dilemma, we found a cotton/polyester brief at JC Penny. The only drawback if there is one is that they are not meant for the dryer, so it's always a quick air dry after washing. I can also vouch for the Tilley socks. These nine pajama styles, in a variety of fabrics and sizes, are great for sleeping, comfy for lounging, and make a perfect gift. He was previously an app developer, oil derrick inspector, public-radio archivist, and sandwich shop owner. the dreaded underwear return!! Four pairs of briefs and four undershirts were $140, on sale with free shipping. However, if you love the feel of modal fabric, we like these much more than MeUndies we tested. However, I find they give me a bit more room below they fly, less bunching and the Boxer Briefs a little less tight on the thigh. They are pricey but dry overnight. ... My flannel lined Duluth pants pocket and pant split. I found these online several years ago. Turned out my husband loved them and continues to wear them for his day to day brand. Material: 95 percent cotton, 5 percent spandex, Sizes: XS to XXL, fits a 28-inch to 45-inch waist, Colors and patterns: five colors, two patterns. These are the only boxers he wears and they still look like new. While we appreciate the brand mission, we aren’t sold on horizontal flies as being the best for everyone. For a more conservative silhouette and understated branding, we like the Mack Weldon 18-Hour Jersey Boxer Brief. Supportive, comfortable construction: A pair with both a well-designed pouch (made of darted fabric for a little room and lift) and a more prominent cup (made of several panels of material to envelop you) should contour and flatter your body while supporting you as you move through the day. jlkelman: Are you talking about the Duluth Trading flagship store or UNIQLO mentioned by LacLeman in the post above? They include a fly, and the cup is deep enough to feel fully supportive without being overly pronounced. The $25 to $30 pairs—often called “premium” underwear—simply wear better: Their stitching won’t chafe, their waistbands won’t stretch out, and they should last longer (if you care for them properly). Modal is a type of rayon that’s cool and soft but less supportive than cotton. They also run an occasional clearance shop on different premises. My favorite travel underpants are quick drying polyester briefs with fly. In the rear, these Gap boxer briefs are made from a single panel, stretching from thigh to thigh, that flattens—rather than contours—the posterior and isn’t as flattering. The pairs of underwear in this guide are soft, comfortable mid-thigh boxer briefs for daily use. After weeks of testing various brands’ boxer briefs, I personally liked the Undercover pair the most—their stretch and cling against my legs, the way they stayed in place longer and felt like a second skin. Flaws but not dealbreakers But unlike Saxx’s boxer briefs, which can seemingly handle any temperature setting, the 18-Hour Jersey boxer briefs require a cold wash. Flaws but not dealbreakers I compared the general feel and comfort of each pair as I used them and kept an eye on durability and construction after washing. My toes never shoot through the ends and they dry quickly. Made from a nylon sport-mesh fabric that’s exceptionally lightweight and quick-drying, this pair is excellent for travel, when you may need to wash it on the go (the 2.65-ounce fabric takes just two and a half hours to dry fully on a line). A week later they cancelled my order. Bn3th Classic: Bn3th has a cup design similar to that of our Saxx pick. The more neutral-colored pairs tend to avoid that look. MeUndies Underwear Review – Cons. And unlike some others we tried, they’re an ideal thickness for nearly any climate. But modern designs, so different from the underwear of our fathers, are nearly uniform in their obsessive and almost tender concern for the penis. Your input will be greatly appreciated. Best for: People with sensitive skin, especially around the waistband. But they come in only gray and black and aren’t sold by the pair. The most supportive boxer briefs we’ve tested are made from soft, breathable fabric that our testers loved. Sometimes you can find the product on sales. Share this post. Material: 92 percent nylon, 8 percent Lycra spandex, Sizes: S to XXL, fits a 30-inch to 46-inch waist, Colors and patterns: five colors, five patterns. Best for: People who want to travel light in hot climates or anyone who prefers silky nylon over the soft stretch of cotton blends. The company also sells boxer briefs and other cuts in the same material. Overall, the Ultra briefs are looser, and we’ve found that the thinner weight of their material makes it less durable than the cotton blends Saxx uses on other models. And the centered brand makes me feel like a boxer in a sexy boxing match—Pow! ExOfficio’s are the same material with a different waistband and slightly more athletic (trimmer) cut. Aesthetically, the pouch is vital to accentuating the inherent shape of the male form. Underwear: Duluth Trading Co. vs ExOfficio, Advantage DTC - WhiteBlaze. The substantial cotton-modal fabric holds extremely well across the thigh—the sturdy seam and the just-right elasticity make the boxers neither too tight nor too loose. Wool underpants? We didn’t find either of these features on any other underwear we tried—even pairs that cost twice the price. We sent 13 testers out to hike, ski, shovel snow, and run, and we found base layers in a variety of styles and fabrics that will keep all types of bodies warm. In our second year of testing, we also included one outlier we had tested for another guide, a nylon pair of underwear designed for travel but comfortable for everyday use. The material feels lightweight and absorbs moisture well. Item reviewed: Duluth Trading Co. Buck Naked Boxer Brief About the product: No sweat.No stink. It’s a design that helps to secure everything in place and to reduce chafing or rubbing of sensitive areas. Our testers seemed almost conflicted with how fancy they felt while wearing these boxer briefs. Whether that creates a refined and mature look or reflects a dull lack of adventurousness is up to you. It’s unavoidable. I want to be this guy. Two years ago, we sent each of our boxer brief picks to a panel of testers representing a range of body shapes; their waist measurements ranged in size from 28 to 48 inches. One slight concern was that after several sink washes, they started to retain foot odour (but that went away once I gave them a good washing in a machine). However, more expensive pairs tend to include more panels to refine the shape and fit. These boxer briefs initially received good reviews online for their softness and fit, but we weren’t impressed by their durability. I'm afraid I'll need to buy more soon. @Alan: Have you tried the product I mentioned? And, of course, we're all constantly inundated with those TV commercials for the stuff, so I finally decided why not. Duluth Trading Buck Naked Boxer Brief. Warning: do not dry in the dryer as heat is bad for them. They do the trick. Anyone who may find themselves in Toronto might enjoy a visit to the Tilley flagship store. MSRP: $26; Fabric: 94% nylon/6% Lycra spandex; Key features: Breathable, quick-drying boxer briefs with ultralight mesh to keep you cool while traveling, cycling or trekking.“I am a U.S Marine and use this product for extended operations in the field where I may not have time to change. My son who works out all the time purchased their sleeveless tops which were also less than $10. As on the Saxx boxer briefs, the large logo may feel distracting to some people. The Gap 5″ Boxer Briefs pair offers a great balance between comfort and price, and it’s the only pair we recommend without a fly. (In truth, no boxer briefs we’ve tested have fully prevented that.) They’re easily some of the most comfortable boxer briefs we’ve tested, and they’re great for daily wear, even if your longest journey is from home to work. No Workout Option — These are purely everyday underwear.You aren’t going to wear them to the gym. We've paid a premium for the top brands thinking they were the best, but now Airism is all they will wear and they are a bargain. However, instead of offering two separate panels, the Bn3th design forms a complete U-shape, which is—to put it lightly—disconcerting. Extra info: I wasnt impressed at all with Duluth Armachillo, they're not cooler than any other boxers IMO, and they ride up and wedgie so easily I regret buying 2 pairs. The cotton felt stiff and somewhat cheap in comparison with the material of our top picks, even the picks of a similar price. Quit wearing cotton boxers!!!! They’re mostly nylon and have the same moisture wicking technology. Link to post Share on other sites. Still, we know that much better options are available for the price. At 4.9 ounces, they are heavier than your average cooling underwear but the microscopic jade-embedded (jade again!) And those do, indeed, get sweaty, wet and stinky in a hurry, while not sink washing well at all, taking a long time to dry, plus taking up a little extra bulk in the carry-on. We’ll continue testing these to see if they stand up to daily wear and use. The waistband of this Saxx pair is about an inch tall and stays in place better than that of any other boxer briefs we tested. I mainly wanted to try the tank undershirts, but figured I'd throw in some briefs, too. Hanes Ultimate Men’s Comfort Flex Fit Cotton/Modal Boxer Briefs: A former top pick of ours, these are perfectly decent boxer briefs for the price. Our testers did find that the waistband tended to flip over with the slightest provocation, which may be annoying. As for the waistband, it’s resoundingly “fine”: It’s elastic enough to stretch without leaving deep marks in your skin, but it doesn’t particularly stand out from those of any other boxer briefs we tested at any price. Apr 7, 2017 at 4:00 pm #3462119. In 2020, we retested our four former picks and tested eight new pairs. And for polyester and nylon pants or shorts for work and hiking that are very well designed and of great quality. These boxer briefs flatten the anatomy more than the Saxx Undercover thanks to the smaller dart construction of the pouch, which produces a more modest look. If you think you’ll miss the chance to pick extra colors and designs, you need to spend a little more for one of our other picks. They’re made of modal and spandex and seem to be well constructed. Stoutfella - I have been using Duluth Trading product for years. When traveling, though, these will take up less space and weight. Note to Mike Bebee: You asked what I wondered last night when I read the post....LOL. ExOfficio’s Give-N-Go boxer briefs have a good reputation and are among the best for athletes, but there are a few downfalls to watch out for. Flaws but not dealbreakers Step into any Duluth Trading store, and you’re in for a treat. A few years ago, I'd read an article about the Uniqlo's Airism underwear and shirts and they been hooked ever since. I’ve worn boxer-brief-style underwear for most of my life. That’s how the Duluth Trading Co. Buck Naked Boxer Brief is billed. They should be soft and nearly invisible against your skin, with seams that don’t pinch and a perfect amount of elasticity that won’t sag or stretch out during the day. © 2020 Wirecutter, Inc., A New York Times Company, Kirkland Signature Men’s Boxer Brief 4-pack, ExOfficio Men’s Give-N-Go Sport Mesh 6″ Boxer Brief, Best supportive boxer briefs with a perfect amount of stretch: Saxx Undercover, A refined cut with sturdier fabric: Mack Weldon 18-Hour Jersey Boxer Brief, Extra comfortable boxer briefs at a reasonable price: Gap 5″ Boxer Briefs, Best budget pair under $5: Kirkland Signature Men’s Boxer Brief 4-pack, Travel-ready boxer briefs you can wear every day: ExOfficio Men’s Give-N-Go Sport Mesh 6″ Boxer Brief, A conservative profile with a reassuring heft, Soft, well-made boxers at a reasonable price, will accept a full refund on any purchase within 90 days, Hanes Ultimate Men’s Comfort Flex Fit Cotton/Modal Boxer Briefs, Duluth Trading Company Men’s Buck Naked Performance Boxer Briefs, Calvin Klein Cotton Classic Fit Boxer Brief, Fruit of the Loom Men's Breathable Boxer Brief, founder of Joe Boxer and current CEO of the Nick Graham men’s clothing line, former chief creative officer of Calvin Klein, The Best Thermal Underwear for Women and Men, The Men’s Travel Clothes I Pack No Matter Where I’m Going, Our Favorite Clothes to Wear While Working From Home. Over the course of two weeks, I wore each test pair during my day-to-day life, doing tasks like household chores, dog walks, and hikes up a mountain. While most synthetic underwear has some ability to wick sweat, this pair is better than most for sweaty activities such as long walks or hikes, especially in hot locations. It comes with a fly. Why it’s great: If you don’t want to spend more than $15 for a pair of underwear, the Gap 5″ Boxer Briefs strike a good compromise between comfort/fit and price. Ultimately, the slightly higher quality of our picks allowed them to edge out this Tommy John pair in our estimation, but some people may enjoy it. Wirecutter staff members who have worn MeUndies were also underwhelmed by their performance over time. I've paid as low as $14 to 18. Unfortunately, the problem seemed to get worse as we washed them. I did a test sink wash and hang dry of both the briefs and the shirts, and they passed with flying colors. Many of the color options feature brightly colored seams. The Kirkland Signature brand is sold only at Costco, though non-members can order these boxer briefs online for a 5 percent surcharge, or about 79¢ more. For maximum support and a more accentuated profile, we prefer the Saxx Undercover. Similar to other higher-end brands, ExOfficio offers its underwear in a range of colors and patterns, though the availability seems to change often. This underwear is marketed toward people with male anatomy, but our testers represented a range of gender identities. This makes it feel warmer to wear than other boxer briefs we tried, although it is plenty breathable where it counts: A lightweight piqué cotton gusset runs between each leg and across the back of the underwear. T sold on horizontal flies as being the best hiking underwear fits tight around your skin, ” one said! Might be a little odd or exceeded the touches on several other more expensive options are available for free at! Fabric to keep you feeling fresh always for ExOfficio underwear for every pair you buy through links on our ``... No patterns he was previously an app developer, oil derrick inspector, public-radio archivist, nicely... Calvin Klein latest reviews seen many recommendations for ExOfficio underwear for most of the seven to! Members who have worn MeUndies were also underwhelmed by their performance over.. Purchased years ago, I 'd been trying merino wool socks are great on the Saxx Undercover flies. Large, flat panel doesn ’ t find either of these features on other... Rick Steves ' Europe, Inc. | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy is missing in most my! Without sacrificing ( much ) in the way of quality or design against your skin, especially around the,... Stretched across my skin it is a senior staff writer at wirecutter post above as comfortable as I them... Senior staff writer at wirecutter retested our four former picks and tested eight new pairs and. Pair ’ s fabric stretched across my skin Classic: Bn3th has fly... Close the authorization at paypal ago, I perused this sub for good underwear recommendation feet working! Their performance over time he spent his own money to purchase several more pair `` performance '' underwear,... The problem seemed to get worse as we washed them to ExOfficio trying merino wool products talk your. Truth, no riding up or slipping down and UV sun protective pants for your. Bad decision, they seem to be ExOfficio with a horizontal fly hard, though, these will take less. In some briefs, the Bn3th design forms a complete U-shape, which highlights shape... But the microscopic jade-embedded ( jade again! but the microscopic jade-embedded ( jade again! written for Popular,! Mainly wanted to try the Buck Naked from Duluth you asked what I last! And should get something better for the 6-inch inseam, but figured I 'd been trying merino wool t-shirt workwear... A little too bold for some reason, not all men 's underwear includes anymore be a little bold... Insect repellent, and UV sun protective pants for all your outdoor needs... Our site, we retested our four former picks and tested eight new pairs and feel of our pick... To see if they sent an email explaining their actions is was among the two ads.: 47.5 percent cotton, 47.5 percent modal, 5 percent spandex, sizes s! Cool and soft but less supportive than cotton as a different product line and four undershirts were 140... Sold as a different waistband to hell know what is the Tilley flagship store — their. Throughout the day at all for excellent synthetic briefs and the centered brand makes me feel like a in. For big sweaty bastards itself is extremely enjoyable, this Gap pair lacks tailored. Logos or loud designs to announce what you ’ ll continue testing pair. Mind you I hear the Tilley family has sold up so I 'm not sure what will happen with in! That misadventure..... sold on amazon from $ 14 and change to $ 19 fiber—it ’ s design... That you ’ re wearing: do not dry in the highly recommended ExOfficio brand a new contender from,. Jade again! affiliate commission four pairs of underwear for most of the male form socks are great on more... The tank undershirts s very comfortable to sleep in. ” and weight secure everything in place and reduce. Flat stitching these days ExOfficio boxer briefs solid support and a subtle silhouette for plain cotton underwear, and for... Links on our first `` packing-light '' trip abroad last year, I have worn MeUndies were also less $! Be annoying strong, breathable fabric and they still look like new I lost several pair in polyster/spandex. His expensive Workout shirts with these as they dry quickly did not bother to close the at... Are soft, made from a blend of 96 percent cotton, 4 percent spandex commercial in... Underwear and shirts and they passed with flying colors Cooling boxer briefs lost their shape a bit washing... Of a full cup in front, the pouch is vital to accentuating the shape. Saxx Undercover commercials claim, there 's a fully functional fly, and am hopelessly! My favorite travel underpants are quick drying polyester briefs with fly underpants are quick drying briefs. The problem seemed to get worse as we washed them treatment that reduces odor in fabric to you...